Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: My RCA-4 Build :-)

Nice work on the fret job Gary, good on you for doing it without any special tools.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Nice work Gary!
    The learning process and methods used to suit how many tools you have can spark great results when you have to think out the box.
    Looking forward to seeing this come together.

Thanks for the comments guys.
    It really is encouraging as a newbie to have interest from some of the amazing builders on here.

I have finally made a decision on what to do for a finish and have ordered some Wudtone materials. Not going to reveal what unit I have laid some on to see if it works !
    Also decided that as I want to show the grain off as much as possible will minimise what is hidden so I am going to just have a control cavity cover and neck pick up ring and do away with the rest of he pickguard. Have ordered some material for this which I hope will compliment the finish better than the white supplied with the kit. Slight problem is that having drilled pilot holes for the pickguard screws I now have three holes that I don't need. Hopefully can fill those with cocktail sticks and they should not be too apparent after I have sanded.

Having made those decisions I am back to undecided about the electrics. Thinking that a stereo and a mono jack socket might work best afterall
    We'll see!
    Last edited by Gary B; 08-01-2018 at 04:03 AM.

Right, the bullet has been bitten and I took a hole saw to my lovely new guitar body and we now have provision for stereo and mono jack sockets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1572sml.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	443.0 KB 
ID:	24055

Name:	IMG_1573sml.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	490.5 KB 
ID:	24056

The retaining plate (or whatever you want to call it) I made from a bit of a scrap pickguard just to try the idea.
    I was surprised at how stiff it was but a quick dunk in some boiling water and it curved nicely.
    Its a bit thick though and I'd really like to make a recess for it to fit flush but I might just end up chamfering the edges so it looks better.
    The finished article will match the new pickguard and pup ring that I am making in pearlescent black.

Quick question while I'm here - I know what I need to finish with but what grade grit is recommended to start sanding with?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary B View Post
    Right, the bullet has been bitten and I took a hole saw to my lovely new guitar body and we now have provision for stereo and mono jack sockets.

Name:	IMG_1572sml.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	443.0 KB 
ID:	24055

Name:	IMG_1573sml.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	490.5 KB 
ID:	24056
    Love that you're doing a stereo RC. Pretty damn cool! And I like the pickguard retaining plate - looks cool to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary B View Post
    Quick question while I'm here - I know what I need to finish with but what grade grit is recommended to start sanding with?
    Great start.

As you are not dealing with veneer top you can start as coarse grained as you need. I start with 80 grit to get rid of most of the machining marks, and then work up the grades from there. I find most of the work is done with 80, 100, 120. I even use 80 grit sandpaper for neck profile shaping, I've never found that I needed to crack out the rasp.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

I'd go with your edge chamfering idea for the jack plate. A tug on a guitar lead can put a lot of force on the jack plate, so it needs to be pretty sturdy, so thinning it down could weaken it too much and you'd probably end up replacing it pretty quickly.

Thanks Simon that's a good point!
    Fretworn, thanks for the info. I am running out of reasons not to get on with th sanding so I had best make a start over the weekend.
    Rook, thanks for your comments. I will be keeping a close eye on your build. Nice work you have done on the body shaping.
    A few of these basses are cropping up and the moment as it is great to see how everyone adds their own touches. Same applies to all the other models of guitar on here of course.

Right, I think I'm done with sanding so time to start applying some finish.
    Last couple of pics while it is still naked wood and showing the plastic part I have made.
    The pickup ring was a real pain to do :-)

Name:	IMG_1588sml.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	446.9 KB 
ID:	24361

Name:	IMG_1589sml.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	338.3 KB 
ID:	24362

I like the pearlescent black, and good work on adding the stereo jack. Look forward to seeing it all under a finish

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast