Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New pedal board project for 2018.

Recently built a mini pedalboard - volume, compressor, micro preamp, micro reverb, digital delay then looper. Will insert a drive after compressor after I finish building it. Whole thing fits into a laptop bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Build:

Semi-Hollow Telecaster w/ 5 way switch (build diary)

My latest pedalboard version. Re-did it all using 3M Dual-Lock (the stronger adhesive version). Expensive stuff (much dearer than Velcro) but worth it. I was fed up with the Velcro peeling off the base of the pedals over time. This stuff is a lot more secure and there's also no play when the pedals are stuck down.

I also made up all my own patch leads. I had been using George L's patch cables, but having the need to make some new ones up found that they were a) unreliable and b) had varying resistances on the signal core from between 0.3 ohms to near 100 ohms (generally in the 10 ohm region). So they went in the bin and I soldered up my own, all with 0.1 ohm (the lower reading my multimeter will give) connections.

The Nano Big Muff is the latest addition and replaced a couple of Andertons' Tone City drive pedals as I had ended up with 4 pedals all sounding very similar to one another.

The Line 6 Echo Park has also reappeared and replaces a TC Flashback, as the L6's tap tempo is a lot easier to use than the Flashback's strum tempo feature. The Korg Pitchblack Mini replaces a TC Polytune Mini that I really didn't like. The poly mode gave different in/out of tune readings to the individual note mode, and the individual note mode kept swapping to the poly mode even though being very careful to just sound one string.

(Apologies for the poor picture).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23905361_10209742643231750_8629470577185961063_n.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	23858

All on a Pedaltrain Nano 18 board with 2 x Voodolabs PedalPower 2 PSUs

While I was experimenting with my two Wah pedals to decide which one was going on my new pedal board, I found that my Jimi Hendrix Wah needed some TLC work done on it to get it working at it's best, at first, I couldn't get any sound through it which turned out to be caused by the 9V battery being flat, I swapped it out for a new one and that restored sound, next I found that the Foot-Switch needed adjusting, but, since my Jimi Hendrix Wah pedal has a small Fet Buffer board that's going to be removed anyway, I'm going to leave working on it till I can buy a couple of new 3PDT footswitches from Jaycar Electronics, one is going to replace the stock footswitch in the Jimi Hendrix Wah, the other one is going to replace the stock footswitch in the Crybaby Wah.

It might be a good idea to stop off at my local Bunnings store while I'm at it to buy the materials needed for the new pedal board.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    My latest pedalboard version. Re-did it all using 3M Dual-Lock (the stronger adhesive version). Expensive stuff (much dearer than Velcro) but worth it. I was fed up with the Velcro peeling off the base of the pedals over time. This stuff is a lot more secure and there's also no play when the pedals are stuck down.
    Good tip - might go buy some tomorrow. Nicely arranged board too.
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

A mate of mine uses George L cables on his pedal board and was always having issues with them, he wants me to go through and solder all the cables for him, personally I think soldered joints in cables are the best, a lot of those George L cables use some kind of grub-screw mechanism to make the electrical connections between the cable conductors and the plugs, over time, these connections do have a habit of working lose, soldered-connections, if done properly, don't come lose.

A lot of well-known people were using them when I bought my first George L's cables. (I was using the thin ones designed for pedal boards) Not sure if the first lot were better made than the recent additions, but the new lot were just terrible. They don't have a grub screw, the coax cable is just pushed onto a spike at the bottom of the jack body, the cable then bent over so it angles out of a slot in the body, then a cap screwed down to finish pushing the centre wire on the spike and help keep everything in place.

It's all very hit and miss and you can't test just one end at a time as you'd never get a good connection with the thin signal wire in the middle of the coax cable (the cable is simply cut straight across - no stripping back). So you have to put both ends on, then test the resistance of the signal cable (I found that the shield was always very good), and if it's high, pull it apart, snip a bit off both ends of the cable, and try again.

By comparison, I did have some Planet Waves solderless patch cables which do use a grub screw, and they were very good - all had a minimal resistance. But they are very expensive, so I ordered a whole lot of right-angles pancake jacks and some decent cable, and soldered up 15 patch leads.

FYI, the signal flow arrangement is right to left on each level, starting with the Cry Baby Mini, but with the TC Spark Mini as the last pedal (fed from the Boss reverb) as a boost for solos. By adding a couple of extra patch leads I can run the chorus. delay and reverb in stereo if I want to, with the boost on only one channel.

I'm keen to try the new OpAmp Big Muff from EHX - I have always been a huge fan of the supersaturated fuzz tones on the Pumpkins' Siamese Dream
    Build 1: Non-PBG Flamed Maple LP - Wine Red
    Build 2: JRM-1DC - The Butterscotch Belle

Pedalboard Build

Decided to give the Marshall the night off and spent a good portion of last night going pedal less into a half decent sized modelling amp. A VOX VT40X hooked up to a PC running Toneroom with my denim Tele, the plywood strat, the ES-1TL and my Gibson LP to add to the variety ....

I was suitably impressed to say the least. Switching from a 'Wish you were here' sound to a 'Pride' sound, and then "Cocaine', and then a 'Walk this way' tone plus 56 other very usable and authentic sounding pre-sets (like 'Paranoid') and 8 user defined pre-sets at the click of a mouse is a lot of fun, particularly when there is a quite respectable 40W pushing a 1x10 vented cab. And of course everything is instantly adjustable by the mouse or scroll wheel...

My fretting hand has new blisters on my fingertips now ... so it might just be the polishing rag in the other hand for most of today ... and I'll be considering my options if I really need to keep the Marshall and all those pedals I have ...

I have my beheaded VTX20 on the desk for use with headphones for late night noodling sessions. I've saved a few presets of my own and there are times when the the thought of dragging the pedal board out, running cables and fiddling with pedals all sounds like too much effort. Much to be said for the modellers.

Name:	Vox-head.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	23869
    Vs

Name:	pedal-board.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	339.0 KB 
ID:	23868
    Last edited by Dedman; 01-01-2018 at 06:56 AM.
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

New pedal board project for 2018.

The bride gave me some plans for a pedal board that she said I should build for myself. This is how it turned out.......

I'm beginning to suspect it might not have been a pedal board after all.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast