Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: P-Bass (PBA-4)

Working at my back yard had this couple of weeks a challenge (due to stormy weather).
    But finally the neck is ready, and I'm about to start working on the body.
    Should I sand it before fill in the grains, or fill the grains and than sand?
    (I will intend to apply two thin layers of primer before applying the color and clear coat, and yes, I'm after the glass shiny look)

Thanks
    (I will post pictures/video of the neck soon)

I had researched this a bit. A lot of people seem to sand up to 180 or 240p and then grain fill. Then cut back the grain filled timber with 240p and then go up to 320/360
    Build 1: Non-PBG Flamed Maple LP - Wine Red
    Build 2: JRM-1DC - The Butterscotch Belle

Pedalboard Build

Quote Originally Posted by churchie View Post
    I had researched this a bit. A lot of people seem to sand up to 180 or 240p and then grain fill. Then cut back the grain filled timber with 240p and then go up to 320/360
    Churchie is spot on, sand perfectly first otherwise grain fill will sit in the machine marks and look awful. Then grainfil, then sand back.

I usually only go to 240 grit before staining.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Thank you churchie and Andy40 I guess that what I will do than

Finished Neck - Pictures

So I promised to post some pictures of the neck.
    Here goes:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HeadStockFront.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	591.7 KB 
ID:	24522

Name:	Neck_edited.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	323.7 KB 
ID:	24523
    Last edited by Shimmix; 03-02-2018 at 08:30 PM.

I've sanded the body with 240 as suggested by churchie and Andy40, and filled the grains (apparently the grain filler was white....), and then sanded again with 240 and 360:
    look of the back:

Name:	grain-filled-back.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	797.8 KB 
ID:	24601
    look at the front:

Name:	grain-filled-front.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	730.0 KB 
ID:	24602
    That was yesterday, today I applied primer to the body, but I'm not sure if this how it should turn out:
    a look of the problematic piece at the side

Name:	primer-side.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	668.5 KB 
ID:	24603
    a look at the problematic piece at the back:

Name:	primer-back.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	471.1 KB 
ID:	24604
    Hanging to cure

Name:	primer-hanged-front.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	792.8 KB 
ID:	24605
    any way I will leave it to cure for the next 24 hours before I'll do anything
    I wonder should I sand it off? Will it be a problem when applying the paint (I use Rust-Oleum spray can)?
    and another question regarding the paint, should it be wet sand in between layers, or only when applying the clear coat?
    Thanks

It simply means that you either needed another application of grain filler, or you didn't sand it flat enough afterwards. It is really hard to see a lot of imperfections until you put some paint on. Also, unless you've put some sanding sealer on first, the paint will sink into the wood to start with.

You are going to need several coats of primer, enough to sand it back to flat without breaking through back to the wood. This should smooth out those imperfections, though you could do it now, after the first coat has dried and do the worst of it, then let the next coats fill in and small dimples left.

Only use dry paper for the primer, but the colour and clear coats can be wet sanded between coats. However, avoid water getting into any holes already drilled into the wood as you don't want the wood to swell and then crack the paint finish, so plug them as well as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    It simply means that you either needed another application of grain filler, or you didn't sand it flat enough afterwards. It is really hard to see a lot of imperfections until you put some paint on. Also, unless you've put some sanding sealer on first, the paint will sink into the wood to start with.

You are going to need several coats of primer, enough to sand it back to flat without breaking through back to the wood. This should smooth out those imperfections, though you could do it now, after the first coat has dried and do the worst of it, then let the next coats fill in and small dimples left.

Only use dry paper for the primer, but the colour and clear coats can be wet sanded between coats. However, avoid water getting into any holes already drilled into the wood as you don't want the wood to swell and then crack the paint finish, so plug them as well as possible.
    Thank you Simon!
    Regarding the sanding sealer - should it be applied on top of the primer, before the paint?

You'd apply it first, before any primer. This will sink in, so you expect that to, then the primer will sit over the top of that. But you'll be better to press on now and add a few more primer coats. Sanding sealer isn't mandatory, but it does make life a lot easier for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    You'd apply it first, before any primer. This will sink in, so you expect that to, then the primer will sit over the top of that. But you'll be better to press on now and add a few more primer coats. Sanding sealer isn't mandatory, but it does make life a lot easier for you.
    Thanks a lot! I'll do that (I really want that shine )

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast