Thread: Uptown's JB-5RF

Uptown's JB-5RF

Hi everyone! I just received my kit today. I have test fitted the neck to the body. I am impressed with the quality of the fit. I am looking forward to this journey. I am undecided as to how to finish the body, neck and head stock. I will be posting as I get things started. So until than...I wish everyone Happy Holidays! Be safe and Enjoy!

Nice

I look forward to seeing the fretless JB

Merry Christmas to everyone! This will be my first build. Any info and help will be greatly appreciated. I am thinking about using a dark ink stain on the basswood body and a clear finish on the neck. Any recommendation on an ink would be appreciated. Thanks ! Happy Holidays to everyone!

Welcome Mike.

Start a build diary, and ask as many questions as you need. Someone here has usually already worked through any issues you may come across.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Thank you! I am looking forward to starting.

Today I brought the material to finish the bass. Sanding paper, stainable wood filler, stain and Tung oil. I was told to use abrasive pads instead of steel wool due to the residue of steel wool. Any comments on the differences and which method is the best?

Question... how much of a space should be between the neck and the body of the bass. while dry fitting the neck to the body I have a gap of about 1 mm. How do I correct this?

Quote Originally Posted by Uptown Mike C View Post
    Question... how much of a space should be between the neck and the body of the bass. while dry fitting the neck to the body I have a gap of about 1 mm. How do I correct this?
    Hi Mike,
    where is the gap (can you post a pic?)
    You might find that the gap will be covered with the scratch plate, so possibly not a big problem.
    If you really want to make the neck fit perfectly, you may need to get out the Dremel and very carefully work on the neck pocket.
    I had to do a similar thing on a P bass that I built, have a look at the P bass thread link in my signature below. There are a couple of pictures.

My first build was also a JB-5RF ... I still love it! Hope you have a great time building yours!!
    1st Build - JB-5RF (Runner Up GOTM November 16)
    2nd Build - PBA-5 (PBG custom)
    3rd Build - JMA-1 (JazzMaster)
    4th Build - LP-1S
    ... n+1 Build - currently plotting

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeBbass View Post
    Hi Mike,
    where is the gap (can you post a pic?)
    You might find that the gap will be covered with the scratch plate, so possibly not a big problem.
    If you really want to make the neck fit perfectly, you may need to get out the Dremel and very carefully work on the neck pocket.
    I had to do a similar thing on a P bass that I built, have a look at the P bass thread link in my signature below. There are a couple of pictures.

My first build was also a JB-5RF ... I still love it! Hope you have a great time building yours!!

Thanks for the response and I will check out your link.

10. Liked by: ThreeBbass

Hi Guys I ran into another problem with the fit of the bridge. It appears that the string spacing on the bridge is off from the Pick up spacing. So I ordered the hipshot 5 string bass bridge. will post a picture when the bridge arrives.