Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Churchie's JRM-1DC Build

Churchie's JRM-1DC Build

Hey all. So I am building my second guitar, which is my first PitBull Build.

Kit has been ordered and I am awaiting it's arrival.

I have decided on a JRM-1DC. I have always had a bit of a hankering for a guitar like this since one of my favourite guitarists, Mike McCready, started playing a genuine ’59 TV Yellow one. I really like the simplicity, but also the versatility of a single P90 pickup.

Finish
    Although I love the TV Yellow, rather than go for a complete replica of the guitar from Tennessee, I think I will go for Dingotone Butterscotch. Before staining I will grain-fill with ebony Timbermate.

Electronics
    Will shield PUP and control cavities, and start with stock pickup. I am researching aftermarket P90s. I may end up with an overwound Lindy Fralin, or a BareKnuckle

Hardware
    I will look at a few upgrades, which I am currently researching. All suggestions welcome!

Bridge - I want a more classic 60s style Wraparound bridge.

Nut - bone nut

Tuners - vintage white button tuners

Decisions
    I’m pretty happy with how I’m going to start out, but I have one main question....

Should I set the neck before or after finishing it?

I look forward to sharing my trials and tribulations

After, it makes it so much easier to set the neck after.

Also of you use DT butterscotch try to test it out on an off cut somehwere or in the PUP cavity to see how it reacts. I usually try to leave it for 7 days for each coat as it tends to soak in and fade the colour each time so you may need more coats than you think.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Thanks for the tip Andy.

Anyone used the Butterscotch on Mahogany?

If you're upgrading the bridge make sure you get it and check the action etc. before you set the neck.
    Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdBits View Post
    If you're upgrading the bridge make sure you get it and check the action etc. before you set the neck.
    Another great tip thanks! I hadn't thought of that.

AusPost teased me by initially saying the kit would arrive on Friday, but then they later revoked that.... I'm not too worried however. Hopefully they delivered people's proper Xmas gifts rather than my gift to myself - haha.

Originally I was thinking of a black headstock stain, but now I think I might go for an ebony headstock veneer.... Which leads to my next question - where is the best place in Australia to get them?

I saw this from ALS - http://luthierssupplies.com.au/produ...roducts_id=177

As Tom Petty once said - the waiting is the hardest part...... My parcel tracking has stalled for over a week in the Western Suburbs of Melbourne. Kind of strange, even with the Public Holidays. I have lodged an enquiry with Aus Post
    Build 1: Non-PBG Flamed Maple LP - Wine Red
    Build 2: JRM-1DC - The Butterscotch Belle

Pedalboard Build

Hope your kit arrives soon! Nothing surprises me about the postal service anymore - I don't know if it's just particularly bad here, or if it's universally terrible, but it's been getting slower and slower the past two years. It's been compounded by the fact that most of the wholesalers we purchase through at work have started using questionable freight companies. The worst case took eight weeks to get a parcel from the supplier to our door, including almost a dozen failed delivery attempts (at the neighbours, or at ours but on days we aren't open/after trading hours). I gave up watching the tracking as it got too depressing!

EDIT: forgot to say, I don't know if ALS is the cheapest place to get the ebony veneer, but I've bought two from them before for Mandolin repairs and they were great
    Last edited by JohnH; 29-12-2017 at 03:35 AM.
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Nothing surprises me about the postal service anymore - I don't know if it's just particularly bad here, or if it's universally terrible, but it's been getting slower and slower the past two years.
    Probably acclimatising the punter for privatisation.
    My telephone line has been down for over 3 weeks now whilst TPG and Telstra play 'pass-the-buck-a-roo'.
    You'd think during this down-time they'd suspend the rental fee?

cheers, Mark.

Hi Mark

I think I saw somewhere that you should put the grain filler after the stain coat as the grain filler stops the stain to absorb fully. Then you colour the filler with some stain to match the stain coat and apply over the stain coat. Also, Timbemate is a water based product which is not compatible with Dingotone solvent based product. So you should use an oil based filler I believe.

I should add I am not a finishing expert so would appreciate more expert comments from others.

All this is of interest to me as I am soon to start my first build ES-5V with an all over Butterscotch finish.

Cheers

Steve W

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast