Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Posting images to Imgur

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar

Posting images to Imgur

To get pics in your post a good way is to host on imgur.com

You sign up with an email address - very easy. Imgur is a community so you can actually make your stuff public and interact with people on there - but I use it purely for hosting and keep my profile private.

Since I originally wrote this some aspects have changed slightly. They really want to be more of a social media site, rather than just an image hoster. I used to be able to do a short cut to my library, but now they make you go to their 'front page' before anything else when you visit the site.

So after signing in you need to click on your profile at the top right of the page and choose images to get to your library.

This is what your library looks like - you can also break it up into albums, but this works for me.

You can drag and drop directly onto this page from your desktop or a folder on your computer. You can do it with multiple images at the same time, or you can click 'add images' and hunt for them in the traditional way to upload.

When you click on an image in your library, this box pops up.

Choose the BBcode option and copy that.

Then come back to your Pitbull forum post and paste (Ctrl V) into your comment.

Then it will hotlink back to imgur and appear in your post. This also helps you get around the 5 photo limit on here. You can also post any size pic if you hot link, so you are not limited to the 1500px width or 1mb file size of the forum uploader. If you use the BB version it does an automatic resize that seems to work well. Imgur does also have some basic editing tools available.

If you find and image online you'd like to share, a lot of the time you can right click on it and 'copy image address'

Make a comment and paste the image address in it.

Then either side of that code you need to type (img) in front of it and (/img) behind it, but use the square brackets --> [.

(If you reply with quote to this comment, you will see what I mean re the brackets)

And presto..image shared.

It's also pretty good to use via phone. You can download an app and use it to upload from your phone library. I normally do that, but do my actual posting from the computer as I hate typing on the phone.
    Last edited by Sonic Mountain; 30-04-2019 at 02:04 PM.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

2. Liked by: Juanito

Thanks Sonic - have copied the post to here and made it a Sticky! Help people find it in future!

I have Imgur, but found it awkward that random people started commenting on photos I posted in a car forum, that they aren't a member of. I've changed the privacy settings, since.
    Since the demise of Photobucket's image hosting, I've helped edit hundreds of posts to restore the photos to the threads for users whose images have disappeared. Flickr.com seemed a lot easier to use than Imgur, Postimg.org is a real pain, you can't look at a users' album.

With Tapatalk, you can upload on the run, but you can't go back to look at the images that you've downloaded to re post them, unless you copy the link from your original post.

So for now, I use Tapatalk for trivial stuff, then upload the photos to Flickr.com to store images I may want to re-post in the future.
    1st build - Blue ES-12G ->-Build Diary-<-

2nd build - Father/Son collaboration MB-1 ->-Build Diary-<-

3rd build - GR-SF1 ->-Build Diary-<-

4th build - FS-1 ->-Build Diary-<-

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Thanks Sonic - have copied the post to here and made it a Sticky! Help people find it in future!
    Cheers Brendan -I wondered how I did that when I was asleep

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    I have Imgur, but found it awkward that random people started commenting on photos I posted in a car forum, that they aren't a member of. I've changed the privacy settings, since.
    Yeah, thats important if you just want to use it for hosting and not participate in the community. I got on it because I spend a lot of time on Reddit and Imgur was originally developed as a photo hoster for that site. Really what ever works for you - it just takes getting used to like anything else.

7. Liked by: Swanny

Thanks Sonic, I'll give it a go. Loading pics directly into this forum is a bit restricting.

Thanks Sonic, this is really helpful!
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

excellent find Sonic been looking for this exact host since photobucket got greedy nice one mate 👍👍👍

There's a lot to be said for having your own dotcom :-)
    Mine costs about US$130 every three years, and there are no storage, upload or download limits.
    You're not limited by email account attachment size limitations or mail fret-bots that think you might be sending something nefarious.
    People downloading your files don't have to set up dodgy accounts or wade through minefields of misleading links etc etc.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keith.jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	23741
    Well that's odd; this forum still copies the original file to their server and displays that.
    Are you sure you can't hot-link? (Although it's not really hot-linking; its actually automatically copying and saving).

Let's try it with some smilies from another site I often visit:
    Name:  rolleyes.gif
Views: 3087
Size:  705 Bytes Click image for larger version. 

Name:	330px-Jimi_Hendrix_1967_uncropped.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	23743
    Yep, same thing.
    The only disadvantage of this over direct hot-linking is that this image won't change if the original one does, but I don't see how that's such an issue.

Or am I missing something?
    Last edited by Keith Walters; 21-12-2017 at 01:22 PM.

When you are linking an image on here there should be checkbox for "Retrieve remote file and reference locally", unchecking that will make the file load from the external server.
    Scott.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast