Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: PBG Instruction Manual version 1.0

PBG Instruction Manual version 1.0

Good news everybody!

There has been much work behind the scenes on our PBG Instruction Manual.

Massive thanks to Dedman for taking on the job of collating and writing new content for our Manual. Thanks to him, we now have a first draft available for your reviewing pleasure:

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/Pit%20Bull%20Guitars%20Instruction%20Manual%20vers ion%201.0.pdf

Please do not distribute this, as it is very much a work in progress.

We encourage all members, who have the time, to review this first draft and provide feedback on this thread.

Remember, this should be a Manual directed at a new builder, building their first kit. It should be easy to follow and not use any unnecessary jargon or overly-technical terms.

We also don't want to go too deep in the guitar building labyrinth. For instance, Dedman has included a section about fret leveling. At first I thought this might be outside the scope for the "newbie" focus, but it is an important process and, the way he explains it, is pretty easy to follow (even for me).

If we want to get into instructions for processes like coil-splitting, active battery cavity installation, pickup routing, etc, then we can do this on dedicated Forum threads. I don't think we want a manual that is too imposing for a first timer.

This is a massive project and I believe this is just the first (giant) step.

I envision this Manual as a "Live" document, that will constantly be updated, with new processes and updates for "best practice" (sorry, I work for the Government)

I would like everyone's input. However, if you feel inspired and want to get more involved in this project, send me a PM and we can put together an "A Team" for the peer review process... goddammit.
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

2. Liked by: dave.king1, Joranaca63

I downloaded the pdf to my pc to read when I have time. I'll mention my remarks later.
    Nr 1: Red Widow LP-1MQ (Finished) ->Diary<-

Had a quick glance, lookin good so far.

Is there anything that Dedman cant do?

I bet it took sheer self-discipline not to put any black on there except the font
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

LOL Andy, I did manage to get the DM-1 kit in there however
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Just had a quick skim through, that looks really solid! Nice work all. Amazing how much info there is even on a 'basic' level. I'll have a proper read through a bit later on. This will be a great resource.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Looks great guys!

I would add page numbers in footers for people who may decide to print the doc instead of using pdf, and maybe a small logo with doc title in header? That would ensure that any page extracted from the pdf still shows the PBG logo.
    #1- STA1M - Completed Jan16 - GOTM Feb16 - Here
    #2- IB5 - Completed Aug16 - Here
    #3- 335 style 12 strings - 3rd build - Almost done - Here
    No #- SG1 'Franck Zappa' - Completed Apr16 for a friend - No build diary (yet?)
    #4- 'The Red Plywood Strat' - Completed Aug16 - Here
    #5- ST-1JR Star Wars - Completed Dec16 - Here
    #6- SG 3 pickups - Almost done - Here
    #7- JBA-4M JPJ Bass - Completed Mar18 - Here

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Yep page numbers and a logo on each page - possibly in the header or footer would be a good idea. I'm pretty sure you can set that up in word so that it happens automatically.

Also, just noticed a typo or more likely autocorrect error: Last page "for guitars with floating bridges the same apples..." should probably read 'applies'.

I still haven't had time to have a detailed read through, but I really like the tone you've set and the information is terrific. I'm really busy for the next month or so, but I'm happy to help out with any extra diagrams or anything you might need.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Thanks guys, header included (Logo and Title), Page Numbers added and "apples" typo fixed.

Keep 'em coming.
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

I found 2 other typos
    "If you think you are missing someone" instead of "If you think you are missing something" I thought that was a good one and I also came across "touse" in stead of "to use".
    Typos aside a valuable resource, I am sure for years to come it can only get better.
    I liked the part about the attaching pots to aquarium air tubing to pull them into position on hollow bodies.
    Excellent advice in there I look forward to my xmas Present ES-3 thanks Adam.

This is what I found:

Use page numbering

There is an index with pagenumbers but that doesn’t help you when the pages itself are not numbered.

I see that this is already tackled!

Page 4: My Build Diary:
    "The very first thing you should do, as soon as you receive your kit (or even before), is to start your build diary in the My Build Diary forum and post your build progress."

When reading this I feel like it is a bit ‘mandatory’ that someone must open a dairy. What if I do not want to do this? Or what if I am not handy enough with computers and uploading images?
    Perhaps replacing this: The very first thing you should do into this: The very first thing you could do?

Page 6: 4. “Sand, sand, and sand again. Then, when you think you have sanded enough, sand it some more.” – our Resident Luthier’s motto

This advice is NOT for bodies with the 0.6 mm thin veneer!!!
    I see that this warning is on page 17: If your kit has a veneered top such as Spalted, Flame, or Quilted Maple, DO NOT SAND THE TOP! The veneer is less than a millimetre thick and it is incredibly easy to sand through it.
    So please put this warning at page 6.

edit: forgot to mention that this is a very good document and I think Dedman did a great job on this!
    Last edited by Kick; 09-11-2017 at 11:29 PM.
    Nr 1: Red Widow LP-1MQ (Finished) ->Diary<-

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast