Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: String Butler, solves tuning problems on LP's SG's etc

It's holding up really well. Combined with a tusq nut I'm getting less and less tuning issues , I bend a lot. Could be the placebo effect, but bends on the g string seem to feel a little more slinky going straight thru the nut.

The risk is that it will create another place for the strings to catch when tuning. If anything you created a more acute angle on the strings. It will interesting to hear back in a 6 months if you still think it is a viable solution.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Quote Originally Posted by Fretworn View Post
    The risk is that it will create another place for the strings to catch when tuning. If anything you created a more acute angle on the strings. It will interesting to hear back in a 6 months if you still think it is a viable solution.
    Yeah, I was thinking that when I was tinkering with it and figured there was nothing to loose trying it out. And it's no different to the angles created with the String Butler proper. And I'm aware that the strings could bind there and the bind point isn't super smooth or a roller sutuation. But the beauty of it is that there is no permanent modification done and no cost outlay. For now, it's working for me and yes time will tell in terms of how it works out in the long run. Just thought I would share the love if anyone else was interested in trying it out or furthering the idea.

Creative idea, at a glance I can't see any other examples of anyone using a string tree like that.

I'm (slowly) working on a single cutaway with a 3x3 headstock like that. Might try a string tree like that too.
    1. GS-2Q
    2. EXM-1 custom
    3. GMS-7F

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosblade View Post
    Creative idea, at a glance I can't see any other examples of anyone using a string tree like that.

I'm (slowly) working on a single cutaway with a 3x3 headstock like that. Might try a string tree like that too.
    Awesome. See how you go with the nut first. I still believe it's 95% to do with how your nut is cut, but also depends on your playing habits.

I'd say 100% nut cut. Don't forget that most acoustics have similar headstocks to a 3+3 Gibson in terms of string angle and tuner positioning. Gibson have made some straight string-pull 3+3 headstocks in the past, but they rarely look right and so the guitars don't sell well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NBG Thiel headstock_zpsbwes1xfu.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	32509

Gibson are their own worst enemy here by not setting up their nuts well enough at the factory. Maybe they need to lower the cost price and make the dealers do a set-up to suit the owner. My 2019 Firebird had a really badly cut nut and I had to pull really hard on the B string to get the factory string out of it - and that was a set of 0.009"s! Several strings of a set of 0.010"s just sat on top of the nut and wouldn't fit in the slots. Luckily I expect to work on every new guitar I get, so I have a full set of nut files, but not everyone does. But with them, it only took a few minutes to set the guitar up as I wanted.

Hopefully things will improve at Gibson with the new management, but if the nut is cut properly, they do stay in tune wonderfully well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2