Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ducklet's STF-1

Final masking, and went to spray glitter, but the test paints seem to have left glitter in the can's seal, and I got a lovely splatter effect on the headstock... a quick trip to bunnings for a new can, and I've finished the glitter layer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finalmaskhead_sm.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	272.9 KB 
ID:	23138Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finalmaskbody_sm.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	498.2 KB 
ID:	23139Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glittery_sm.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	462.8 KB 
ID:	23140
    Next, wait for that to dry, remove some of the masking and start applying clear coats.

Oh, before the clear coats, must remember to do the dragon's eye. (copper with a black iris)

Just caught up with this thread, looking great, the dragon slayer
    Builds to date
    #1, 3 string box guitar
    #2, GR-1SF, November guitar of the month 2016
    #3, Charvel Surfcaster tribute scratch build. ( Completed )
    #4, Pawn shop Strat ( Completed )
    #5, Current build MM-1Q

Eye. just a few touchups required where i caught the eyelid
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eye1_sm.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	548.0 KB 
ID:	23141

cool build and theme Ducklets, can't wait for this to be bolted together !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

went to start the clear coats... air coming out of the can, but nothing else. Took the three cans back to bunnings, the empty white primer (to compare weights) and the mostly full but dodgy clear and glitter. Got a store credit for those two. Nice. The new glitter worked flawlessly, much better than when I originally bought it, and the clear seemed to work O.K. I'll see how well tomorrow, when it dries. I stuck with the same brand because the cans seem to work ok when new.
    In case people are wondering, I decided against the scale pattern, the glitter sticks up, and doing a few coats of patterned texture would leave pretty big voids to fill with clear coat. I'm going for a polished finish, and that's going to take a lot of clear. I've put down a few layers of spray clear, when that dries I'll pull out the tin of clear polyurethane and brush, and put a few serious layers down. Then the wet & dry, buff etc

By glitter sticking up, I mean it's almost like a non-slip finish, green glitter flakes in a clear medium. You definitely need a coloured undercoat, because even with 7 layers of glitter, you can see that undercoat when the light's not reflecting in your eyes. I want to get a lot of clear on top, or I'll be sanding the tips off those glitter flakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducklets View Post

Attachment 22653
    Controls. Two volume knobs. The middle knob is on a pot with a capacitor, so it definately is supposed to be a Tone knob
    i just finished the same kit last week mine had 1 vol and 2 tone someone buggered up

Quote Originally Posted by Ducklets View Post
    By glitter sticking up, I mean it's almost like a non-slip finish, green glitter flakes in a clear medium. You definitely need a coloured undercoat, because even with 7 layers of glitter, you can see that undercoat when the light's not reflecting in your eyes. I want to get a lot of clear on top, or I'll be sanding the tips off those glitter flakes.
    i was checking this stuff a week ago at bunnings i thought it was clear over base which you had to do a colour coat followed by glitter then clear but didn't think it would be very good on a guitar as the finish wouldn't look that great simply because of the type of paint it is, would be better to get 100gm pack of super flake and mix your own from DNA or spray chief be interested how this one will go

Hey Phrozin, nice builds. I'm pretty new to the whole spray paint thing, so I'm taking the "Easy Option" of store bought, haha. My test coats came up ok, crossing fingers. I like the end of the fingerboard on your candy apple strat, hadn't even thought of shaping that.

Looking good. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast