Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: JohnH's Tayda pedals

This store definitely looks thriving and good to know good review from this forum.

I've been staring at diyguitarpedals.com.au for a while, unfortunately it seems like the store is winding down (such as difficult niche market if you don't sell anything else).

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tooth Hopkins View Post
    This store definitely looks thriving and good to know good review from this forum.

I've been staring at diyguitarpedals.com.au for a while, unfortunately it seems like the store is winding down (such as difficult niche market if you don't sell anything else).
    Yeah, I've had pretty good experience with their circuits so far. My only complaint is there are no schematics, which is fine except I'd really like to be able to look at the diagram to see how all the components relate. It's easy enough to place all the components but it doesn't teach me much.

I've also been looking at buying some more DIYguitarpedals PCB's, but just don't have the time or the cash at the minute. Also, my wife might kill me.

As for my current line-up of part-finished pedal projects - I finished soldering the EP Booster today, and couldn't get it to work at all. I spent three hours trying to figure it out, checking connectivity, solder joins, wondering if any components were bad, etc, etc. Finally, it occurred to me to check the battery I was using, and of course it was dead. Turns out the circuit was fine, and I'm an idiot.

The kids are asleep now, so will test it out tomorrow and post the verdict.
    Last edited by JohnH; 31-10-2017 at 02:41 AM.

Finished boxing up the RAT last night...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finished rat small.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	583.6 KB 
ID:	23269
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

4. Liked by: Marcel

Just finished building the Tayda Box of Rock. miraculously, it worked first go (though annoyingly I drilled the holes for the pots too close to the jacks, so had to add small wires to the pots, and of course managed to wire them backwards)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box of rock small.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	576.0 KB 
ID:	23657

Sounds pretty good; it adds some pretty serious gain.

Also, the text is screenprinted, but I had to go over it by hand - turns out that weird marble effect spray I used is impossible to print over.
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

6. Liked by: Marcel

Have you had the chance to test these pedal builds out? Are any serious contenders for permanent residence on your pedal board?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    Have you had the chance to test these pedal builds out? Are any serious contenders for permanent residence on your pedal board?
    It's hard to say - I'm not a very good guitarist, and I got into pedal building because I couldn't afford any at the store, so all the pedals I own are ones I've built myself. Basically I've just been noodling away and building pedals, and each time I find a new favourite of a certain kind it takes a spot on the board. Currently I'm using the Tayda Rat as my distortion, which I quite like, and I've been using the preamp heaps since I built it because it makes my fuzz pedal sound great. The fuzz I've been using most is the 7 minute fuzz from DIY guitar pedals.

I've been getting friends/siblings who can actually play to give the pedals I've built a go to see which they like. So far the Rat, 7 min fuzz, and the U-235 Suboctave Generator have been hits with everyone.

I'm digging the box of rock though - it adds some serious oomph to my little Roland cube, and while it provides some distortion it's more kind of rock distortion than the grinding distortion I usually enjoy.

I've been fiddling around with my recording gear all morning, and will try to post a soundclip sometime tonight or tomorrow
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Sound is odd like that... different for everyone...

For me it's a case of I'm not happy with any of my distortion pedals as none come close to what I can get out of any of my amps... go figure..!
    In order of preference I rate my AC18W amp build the best, followed closely by the clean/crunch on my JVM210, then my VOX VT40x amp. The pedals in contention are a TS9, a old school Big Muff, the (re-discovered) 1970's Ibanez overdrive, a NUX High Gain, a Purple Behringer distortion box thing, and the Dragon distortion kit I built. Of the pedals I like the TS9 the best with the Big Muff being better only when I can get to crank it on a bigger amp. The Dragon is fine if all I can use is a 10W practice amp but it sounds a bit limp through the JVM. Maybe my playing has something to do with that too...

Good to see the getting of positive feedback from friends & family. Means they (your builds) are 'right in the ball park' and so can't be sounding too bad...

I suspect collecting amps is where I'm heading. A friend has a Sunn model T which is pretty heavy, and hearing him play my fuzz pedal through his other amp at soundcheck for one of their recent gigs (I don't even remember what amp it was?) I was pretty impressed. I think it sounds pretty good on my little cube, but it was wild hearing it at such volume. Like most hobbies, this is proving to be a bit of a rabbit hole!

I started soldering my Parasit Studio Darkadiator tonight - will see how it sounds in the morning. Also, apologies for how long it's taking me to post a soundbite of the pedals. I recorded a dozen clips, but was so embarrassed by all of them I thought I'd try again another night.
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Don't think anything of it... Pick one with the sounds you like and post it, and be damned to those who want to criticize...

I first picked up the guitar in the late '70's... learnt to play the entire Beatles song book and quite well at that... put the axe down for near on 30 years and do you think I can play any Beatles now?? I can barely get through 'Back in the USSR'...

And, a huge big YEAH to that rabbit hole... I just found another one for myself... DMX stage lighting gear.. setting up to fix those buggers is way worse than fixing tube amps, PA's and mixing desks combined...

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    Don't think anything of it... Pick one with the sounds you like and post it, and be damned to those who want to criticize...
    Ha ha, well, that is entirely true. You're right of course - I'll have another crack!

What is it about the lighting that's so complex?
    Last edited by JohnH; 14-12-2017 at 05:22 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast