Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap DIY Distortion and Compressor and Fuzz kits

That would be a bit confusing for a first time builder if there are no instructions included with the kit. Hopefully you'll at least get a listing of which part goes where on the PCB.

The price is ok, but I should point out that you can get very similar effects from an Australian based place, which will come with proper build documents, videos to help you build, and local support if you get stuck. For about the same price as what you paid I think. Have a look at diyguitarpedals.com.au - the only thing he doesn't sell is the metal enclosure.

And there are heaps of good quality kits and PCBs available around the Internet...eBay kits are probably going to be the lower end of the quality scale. IMHO. But hopefully you've scored a good one.

(Sorry trying not to be too negative about this, and it will probably work fine, but there are better places to buy kits from. eBay is fine for cheap enclosures, and some parts, but I've had a lot of bad parts from eBay too)

Just so everyone knows, I'm a bit of a kit demon... not just guitars...

In the photo is yesterdays Ebay delivery from one kit supplier... a single channel 1MHz LCD Cro kit with case, a 1MHz function generator kit, a LED clock kit, a DDS signal generator, two counters and two RPM meters for my PU winder project, a couple of temperature meters, a SDR and some other random bits.

Only the Cro kit has decent instructions (any instructions for that matter), the remainder will heavily rely on my years of electronic kit building experience to get going.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170927_102557_resized.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	479.4 KB 
ID:	22477  

Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    Just so everyone knows, I'm a bit of a kit demon... not just guitars...

In the photo is yesterdays Ebay delivery from one kit supplier... a single channel 1MHz LCD Cro kit with case, a 1MHz function generator kit, a LED clock kit, a DDS signal generator, two counters and two RPM meters for my PU winder project, a couple of temperature meters, a SDR and some other random bits.

Only the Cro kit has decent instructions (any instructions for that matter), the remainder will heavily rely on my years of electronic kit building experience to get going.
    *smiles nods and goes back to my leggo. No idea what that stuff is but I cant wait to see what it becomes :P
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

+1 for not knowing what any (or at least most) of that stuff is, but super interested to see what you do with it!
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

LCD Cro... we humans are funny.
    Scott.

Which SDR kit is it?

I've been thinking about putting as SDR together for a while but funds have been at historic lows...

Col
    (VK2CSW)
    Col.

I admit that I am an agent of Satan, however, my duties are largely ceremonial.

\m/

The whole bunch of kits and other bits in the latest batch came from the following seller...
    https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/kiss_buy...1&_ipg=&_from=

The SDR wasn't a kit as I felt I have enough things to build on my to-do list at the moment, however the seller does have SDR kits, both Rx only and Tx/Rx.

For those that want to know.... SDR = Software Defined Radio. It is a tiny 'black box' with only a USB port and an antenna connection. Plug it into your PC/Mac and you have a radio that can be controlled by appropriate (often downloaded) software. You can listen to AM or FM or short wave broadcasts or you can decode (some) data transmissions such as ADS-b tracking data from most aircraft. Some high end SDR's can even decode digital video transmissions. An SDR is not an 'internet radio'...

(De VK4TMH)

Must. Not. Buy. Everything. They. Have.

TNX
    Col.

I admit that I am an agent of Satan, however, my duties are largely ceremonial.

\m/

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdBits View Post
    LCD Cro... we humans are funny.
    WeirdBits helped me choose the first kit to build.

The single channel TFT LCD Cro... Cro is the generic name given to displays like this. Originally it stood for Cathode Ray Oscilloscope using a vacuum tube display, however with modern developments this unit uses displays not unlike those found in smart phones.

Awesome supplied instructions in colour!! Follow the instruction to the letter and in about 3hrs (the time it took me to build) you will have a working display to show the amazing waveforms that come out of your axe. This is not a soldering newby or beginners kit as it has lots and lots of very fine very tiny soldering, but if you can get past that it is a useful 9V battery operated tool to visualise what voltages is emanating from your axe or is passing between those pedals.

First photo is all the bits in their bags
    2nd photo is after 1hr of assembly
    3rd photo is the fully assembled working unit displaying the 50Hz noise that my body is picking up...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170929_141302_resized.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	515.3 KB 
ID:	22514   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170929_150326_resized.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	493.1 KB 
ID:	22515   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170929_173208_resized.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	393.6 KB 
ID:	22516  

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast