Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Happy Yess October 28th Gig.

Well what can I say?, the gig went well and a good time was had by all, I managed to take some pics of the stage setup prior to the start of the show, and apparently there was some video of the performances recorded too, so as soon as it gets posted on my facebook page I'll post a link to it in this thread so you guys can check it out.

Only just woke up out of bed and I'm having my first coffee for the day, so as soon as I'm all energized I'll get the pics I took posted......stay tuned.

Update:

Bit of bad news, apparently half the video footage of the performances got lost because the video cameras were running on batteries, instead of being mains-powered, and the batteries went flat, but I'll see if any video footage can be posted, the good news is that there is some footage remaining of The Sunshine Love Band's performance, so as soon as I can I'll post a link.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 29-10-2017 at 10:41 AM.

2. Liked by: dave.king1

Here's a couple of pics I took of the stage setup for the gig:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speakeasy 1_resized.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	249.5 KB 
ID:	23105

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speakeasy 2_resized.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	241.3 KB 
ID:	23106

Fantastic.....holy smoke look at the wall of amps!
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Andy40 View Post
    Fantastic.....holy smoke look at the wall of amps!

Yeah that wall of amps belongs to my mate, the drummer, I've been helping him out with some technical difficulties that he's been having with them, he also built himself a massive drum kit which you can see in the photos I posted, he bought all the drumkit hardware online.

Sorry about the grainy quality of the photos, my digital camera doesn't seem to do well in dark places.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 08-11-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Such a great spot, glad to see it's still going. I played one of the final gigs for the old Happy Yess location before it got torn down and they moved to Browns Mart.

(volume and language and video quality warning)

Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

7. Liked by: OliSam

You know what?, I really miss the old Happy Yess place cause it had a really nice and intimate atmosphere to it, I have some fond memories of playing gigs in it as one of the members of a local Darwin band called Cooperblack, those were some pretty fun times.

I think I may have some pics I took as I was helping out with getting the new Happy Yess place at Brownsmart ready, I'll have to have a look through all the backup files I've got stored on some Hard disk Drives and see if I can find them, will post them in this thread if/when I do.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 09-11-2017 at 08:14 AM.

I've a feeling we know a bunch of the same people. Not surprising for old D-Town. I'm sure I've seen Cooperblack mentioned in the Darwin Music Scene Facebook page.

Yeah the old place really captured that 'seedy dive' atmosphere that the best gigs are played in. The ever changing wall murals were cool as well.

Same band, different gig. I actually think this is the last ever show played there or the first ever Terrorfest. I can't actually remember.
    (the facial hair was a joke I promise)

The new setup is great still, just different. It's been good the couple of times I've been there and they have Browns mart setup with one stage and the Yess with a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    I've a feeling we know a bunch of the same people. Not surprising for old D-Town. I'm sure I've seen Cooperblack mentioned in the Darwin Music Scene Facebook page.

Yeah the old place really captured that 'seedy dive' atmosphere that the best gigs are played in. The ever changing wall murals were cool as well.

Same band, different gig. I actually think this is the last ever show played there or the first ever Terrorfest. I can't actually remember.
    (the facial hair was a joke I promise)

The new setup is great still, just different. It's been good the couple of times I've been there and they have Browns mart setup with one stage and the Yess with a second.

You know what?, I have a feeling that I saw your band live at one of the Happy Yess gigs, I was thinking to myself "I'm sure I've seen these guys live" when I watched that video clip you posted, incidentally, cheers for that mate.

Oh yeah, do you remember all the band-graffiti in the toilets?, that's another thing that added to the coolness of the old Happy Yess.

And I remember going to the uni bar on the uni campus in the mid 90's, and seeing some pretty good Metal bands live (Paper Cage I think was one of the bands playing onstage), one of the guitarists from one of the bands was playing a BC Rich Warlock guitar that had a body finished in cream-coloured paint and a Floyd Rose trem on it.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 09-11-2017 at 11:26 AM.

Yeah I remember the toilets at the Yess.. matched the rest of the vibe . 90's is before my time I arrived in January 2000. Would be funny if you had seen us.. I hope you avoided getting injured. That one from the clip was nuts.

That band had a brief but effective run. We all worked at a sign place up there, drummer was the metal head screen shop supervisor, the lead guy Tom, was a blow in who was only up there 6 months or so. We practiced hard for about 2 months and then played I think 3 gigs before Tom left town. Was heaps of fun, but totally crude and off the wall.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3