Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocktober!!! Gotm

I don't think it matters who paints your axe, especially when you want something super nice for your self. Although if you're going to enter it in GOTM and it's competing with guitars finished by all of us wanna be luthiers, then I too would deduct points as a judge. Still a great guitar .. but
    Builds to date
    #1, 3 string box guitar
    #2, GR-1SF, November guitar of the month 2016
    #3, Charvel Surfcaster tribute scratch build. ( Completed )
    #4, Pawn shop Strat ( Completed )
    #5, Current build MM-1Q

Thanks JB. Exactly the same as my views
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

As an entrant in this month competition I know and can see there is no comparison between the finish on my build and Klegacy's build. They are very different axe's...

Hopefully and I'm sure it is the case, when it comes time for the judges to do their thing the 'shiny glossy bling factor' is not the only thing they consider...

But, Damn !!... that is a gloriously nice finish on that axe Klegacy.....

4. Liked by: teamjeffo

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Nice axe klegacy and love the body/neck colour combo I don't see an issue having someone else finish it, looks tops! I've built other non-PBG axes with pre-finished bodies kind of the same thing really. I've also refinished quite a few axes to get them how I've wanted them but you have removed that hassle in both time & $...
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

No worries Wokka, it's like me buying a predone body and bolting it together. Should only be judged on that which you do yourself. Just my opinion, with no disrespect to what is a really nice guitar
    Builds to date
    #1, 3 string box guitar
    #2, GR-1SF, November guitar of the month 2016
    #3, Charvel Surfcaster tribute scratch build. ( Completed )
    #4, Pawn shop Strat ( Completed )
    #5, Current build MM-1Q

There has been some discussion amoung the Powers That Be and the general consensus is that it may, emphasis on the may, give an entrant an unfair advantage over those with a DIY finish.
    Having said that, there have been some cracker finish jobs done in the past by folk who have a professional background in paint, a ton of man cave experience or who are just plain too clever for their own good.....
    So, it is my thought that in the spirit of fairness to all, those who put their hand up and admit to having a pro finish done should be marked more on the other aspects of the build and not have points deducted for a pro paint job.
    Give me some feedback on this guys and gals. Let me know what you are thinking and any suggestions, ideas and thoughts will be duly considered.
    I will start a thread in DB's Corner where you can post your thoughts etc.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

The two kits I did @dingobass were a ton of work. I filled in below the stock bridge with basswood to fill the hole for the stock tailpiece, I also spent a lot of time with the necks to get just the right stain and finish I wanted, and on the headpiece. As I mentioned in my post I upgraded to the jCustom hardware, which was not an exact fit and require some shimming and mods. I realize the painting is an important part of the process, but to me I was not even going to attempt it. I wanted a finish the same as are on some of my Musicman Luke 3 models. They matched it pretty much, and for a very fair price. A custom bike shop of all places and I ended up with two beautiful axes. It is a part of the process, just not the whole part. I agree that we should all be scored fairly, and I think it is wrong to deduct points for missing just one aspect of the build process. Sanding, fitting, neck finishing, fitting after the paint, setup, tweaking, etc. My thoughts, an I hope my entry will be considered. They are really great guitars and were worth every step and drop of sweat I put into them. Thanks everyone for the comments. Great forum really.

9. Liked by: dingobass

I'm trying to post my new ESB bass and I'm having trouble finding where to do it

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBurd View Post
    I'm trying to post my new ESB bass and I'm having trouble finding where to do it
    Hi Andy, your images were just too large (in pixels) to post. I have reduced them and here they are:

"This is a really cool ESB-4 Bass in Black/Red burst, painted by my drummer John Stubblefield.
    I think it's a very original color, Adam will explain the custom bridge saddles*.
    Thank you
    Andy"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESB 3.JPG 
Views:	256 
Size:	689.5 KB 
ID:	22279 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESB 4.JPG 
Views:	227 
Size:	705.5 KB 
ID:	22280 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESB 1.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	548.5 KB 
ID:	22281 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESB 2.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	689.9 KB 
ID:	22282

*Andy had a lot of trouble getting the right height on his bridge. If you look closely, you can see he's had someone engineer some custom brass saddles to get more height on the strings. An incredible workaround.
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

12. Liked by: dingobass

looks good...

still waiting for a bit of sunshine so i can take pics of my esb to post here..

hope fender3x can get his on here as well ... rocktober will be semihollow heaven

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast