Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Another noob question for the forum hive-mind, but if I'm finishing the maple neck in tru-oil, do I also use the TO on the fretboard? Or should I use something else?
    Hi John.
    I used Tung Oil on my maple neck and fretboard and it feels just great!
    I’m really enjoying your build!

Q. What’s the trick to cutting a perfect neck pocket?

Sent from outta space using MartianTalk

Quote Originally Posted by OliSam View Post
    Hi John.
    I used Tung Oil on my maple neck and fretboard and it feels just great!
    I’m really enjoying your build!

Q. What’s the trick to cutting a perfect neck pocket?
    Thanks Oli! I'd done some searching, but could never figure out if people who oiled their necks were also oiling their fretboards. I just checked out your tele - looks great!

As for the neck pocket, I watched this great youtube video a while back where this guy had to route a cavity for a pre-made neck. I can't find it again though, but can give you the rundown.

Basically you do the following:

Grab a bit of MDF or plywood to make a template with. The guy on the video used 12 or 15mm MDF, but I had some ply that was about the same thickness and about 20 x 30cm so I used that.

Draw a centreline on your template material, and then find the centreline of the neck. Line the neck up with your centreline on your template and clamp it down. Then grab two bits of straight timber and clamp these either side of the neck. If you clamp them lightly and then give them a tap with a rubber mallet so they're really tight up against the neck, then finish clamping them down then you'll get a really snug fit.

Get a sharp pencil and trace the curve of end of the neck onto your template material. Then you can unclamp and remove the neck from between the timber, grab a coping saw and cut out the shape of the neck - staying just inside the two pieces of timber and around the curve of the line you drew (I used a small drill bit to punch a hole in one of the corners of the neck curve to make it a bit easier to get the saw in and around).

Then get a file and some sandpaper and file and sand your way back to the line, being as careful as you can to make sure it's straight/square/etc.

It didn't take very long, and worked really well. I tested the neck in the template to make sure it fit well, and then lined my template up with the centreline on the body and clamped it down. There was a lot of measuring to make sure the neck cavity would be in the right spot and to make sure it was centred, but seemed to work. I guess I won't know for certain until the bridge comes in the mail and I can actually string it up.
    Last edited by JohnH; 08-01-2018 at 05:09 PM.
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

To add to the above, extend the template so that it sticks out a good 10cm or more in front of the body (i.e. in the area the neck would be when fitted). So you end up with a long neck pocket slot in the template. This allows you to keep your router level when cutting the front of the pocket. If you have it flush with or only just extending over the body, the router can tilt forwards a bit if you are not very careful.

Also, sealing the edges of the MDF or ply with superglue helps extend the life of the template.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    To add to the above, extend the template so that it sticks out a good 10cm or more in front of the body (i.e. in the area the neck would be when fitted). So you end up with a long neck pocket slot in the template. This allows you to keep your router level when cutting the front of the pocket. If you have it flush with or only just extending over the body, the router can tilt forwards a bit if you are not very careful.
    Oh, yeah. Should have mentioned that bit...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Also, sealing the edges of the MDF or ply with superglue helps extend the life of the template.
    I know what I'll be doing tomorrow!
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

So I was hoping to screenprint some decals for the headstock, but ran out of both decal paper and money. Instead I'm going to get a friend to cut them on his vinyl cutter during the week.

Before I do I'd like to know what you guys think about both the text placement/size and my revised logo. Wasn't sure about the Megacaster as a name, so also mocked up a version without it (though the name has grown on me since I started this build, so I dunno)

I picked the font because it is a favourite of the guy I'm giving this to (he's a type-setter so these things are important to him), so the font probably has to stay but the scale and placement are totally open for suggestion.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MPL Logo 2.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	160.9 KB 
ID:	24164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MPL Logo 3.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	165.5 KB 
ID:	24165
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Something more like one of these you reckon, Simon?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MPL Logo 4.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	24191 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MPL Logo 5.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	24192
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

9. Liked by: OliSam

One on the right looks more balanced to me. I don't like headstock decals that 'take over' the whole of the headstock. But it's all very personal.

Also, consider where the string trees will go (if you aren't going staggered height tuner posts). Top B/E tree is normally in line with the A-string tuner, which might leave part of the 'L' obscured. In that case, bringing the 'MPL' down with 'Megacaster' after it (in a traditional Fender fashion) would also work for me.

God, how did I forget the string trees?! I've even ordered them and I still managed to forget. I'll measure it up when I get home but I'll probably end up doing the text in a single line just to be safe

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast