Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18

Thread: Sonics first build JMA-1: ShoeGazer MK1

I've used both of those schemes, and there are other variants. I just chose the absolute simplest.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by colin2121 View Post
    Hi sonic
    A couple of questions if that is okay as you have done a JM1 build.
    I have been very happy with my build. The body is perfect (although a bit weighty). I left the electronics as standard but the humbucker is not very good so thought I might upgrade that area.
    I have a set of alnico V - 2 single coils and a humbucker and thought I might put those into the standard pickguard.
    When I opened the control panel I noted that the pots were:
    Volume - 500K
    Neck Tone - 500K
    Middle and bridge tone - 250K
    The caps were "interesting"!
    Neck Tone - .068uF
    Middle and bridge tone - .047uF
    I don't know a great deal about the electronics side of guitars so I thought you might be able to guide me.
    What would be the best pot values to put in given I plan on two single coils and a bridge humbucker?
    And what would be the best caps to put in given I would like to retain the same tone control i.e. one for neck and one for middle and bridge? I don't like the sound to be too muddy - my hearing is already muddy enough!

I would appreciate if anyone else also has any advice on the pots and caps.

All the best
    Looks like you've got a fair bit of info to sift through here already (was weird to see this thread back in the new posts) I'm really not and expert with wiring either, but my understanding is improving every time I look at it.

The cap values as others have mentioned seem correct, but I'm just thinking.... I'm not sure I had tone control on the humbucker the way I wired mine. I am pretty sure I used a standard strat diagram as I cooked everything the first time I tired and got new pots and started again....was a while ago now. I never had any real complaints about it either, so I wonder if that's where some of the muddyness comes from?

So you could use .047uf for both tone controls and just have them wired for the neck and middle, and just have the humbucker go through the volume, might give it a bit more punch as the kit ones aren't especially hot wound.

That way you could use 2 250k tone pots and a 250k volume, which would make it all pretty bright.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Thanks Sonic.
    Sorry for hijacking your build thread. I was surprised at the mix of pot values and wondered what you might have come across on your build.
    A big thanks to Simon for all the detail.
    And thanks also McCreed.
    I will take all this info away and sort out the best approach.
    When I have a clear picture of what I want to do I will post it up on my build diary for some more help/feedback.
    Thanks once again to everyone.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18