Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonics first build JMA-1: ShoeGazer MK1

I doubt if Adam would ask you to send it back as it's faulty and can't be re-used. He'd just post another one out. The main issue is that the casing is incomplete so isn't as good an electrical shield. But then you've got two single coils anyway, so they'll still be the noisiest pickups.

If you were planning on shielding the cavities, then you can always stick a piece of foil across the gap in the casing to restore its shielding integrity.

If you stick a multimeter across the output wires and get a DC resistance reading between say 6k and 10k ohms, then the coils should be fine. Only if you get a much lower reading (short circuit), or no reading at all (open circuit) would the pickup definitely be damaged. But the harness is pre-wired, so you'd need to unsolder the leads first. But you could plug the assembly into an amp and tap on the pickups as a quick check to see that they all do at least make a noise.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Its not actually wired to the output jack at the moment, but I do have access to the ends of the wires on the switch. I'm getting 10.1k ohms across so that seems promising. I am planning on shielding the cavity so thats a good idea re plugging the gap. You can't see it when its together so it will be fine for the initial build up of the guitar.

'Cause I can help myself, I've now tapped the nut out so I can measure it up and order a new one.

A little bit of progress this afternoon. Very carefully measured and re measured the neck. Needed a slight .5mm shim in one side of the pocket and it all lined up nicely. Measured again anyway and then drilled my pilot holes. Somewhat nerve wracking, but seems all good at this stage. The back bow in the neck seems to have reduced slightly as well which is encouraging. Otherwise, did a little bit of refinement of the pick guard to get the pot plate to sit against it more neatly, still not perfect, but I think it will be OK. Marked up more pilot holes.

I also put an order in for new nuts for all my electric guitars, cause why not. I've actually pulled a couple of them apart for upgrades so I might start a non Pitbull thread for those.

Last edited by Sonic Mountain; 23-08-2017 at 01:14 PM.

good start Sonic. Looking good
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

I think the fretboard looks cool as is....

The initial excitement has worn off...

The more time I get to look, the more questionable things I'm finding. To this point, they have been things I can fix in finishing or by upgrading. I just went to mark up pilot holes for my tuners and...well...it looks pretty crap.

I can live with the other issues, but this is going to annoy me a lot.

Any thoughts for fixes? I think I'm just going to have to get in touch with Adam and see if I can get another neck.

Hey Sonic,
    its a pretty common problem tuner holes not aligning perfectly. Get some 9 or 10mm dowel and glue in the tuner holes, let it dry, cut off and sand and re-drill the tuner holes. If you have access to a drill press makes the job easier.
    The holes are 9.5mm so you may need to sand down 10mm dowel a touch
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    Hey Sonic,
    its a pretty common problem tuner holes not aligning perfectly. Get some 9 or 10mm dowel and glue in the tuner holes, let it dry, cut off and sand and re-drill the tuner holes. If you have access to a drill press makes the job easier.
    The holes are 9.5mm so you may need to sand down 10mm dowel a touch
    Yeah, that was my only thought for a fix. I guess if its common I might have to go down that road. I'd probably would have preferred a blank headstock if I'd known. I've sent Adam an email so I'll see what his recommendation is as well.

Seems like a drill press would be a good idea.. its been on the list for the workshop for a while so i guess this is as good an excuse as any.

Cheers for the responses guys.

You could easily re-drill the holes using a drill stand rather than a full drill press. For a drill press to be really useful in guitar making, then you'd need one with at least a 140mm throat, and preferably nearer 160mm, so that it can reach the middle of a guitar body. This makes it quite a substantial beast, normally with quite a powerful motor, which puts the price up significantly compared to the cheapest drill presses.

Please don't let me stop you from buying one - just don't buy one that's too small that you'll regret buying later.

10. Liked by: OliSam, Thunderbird

Yep good advice I will see whats around.

I have heard back from Adam who has confirmed the misaligned holes are a common problem. Considering I'm just as likely to get a similar one and I've already aligned this one to the body, I'm going to persevere, although he has offered to replace it if it can't be made to work. Same for the humbucker - which I will try first anyway.

As others have noted, great service and response times to queries from Adam.

So onward and upward, I got a few other bits and bobs today to get started on the finishing, but I will finish of the mock up first.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast