Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: #3:TL - 1 Custom

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    I had a similar gap in the neck pocket on my TL1 build, pick guard covered it fine. You probably want to enlarge the bridge pickup route so the bridge will sit in closer to the pickguard. Check the link in my signature to see what I did, went for a similar look to your plans. To do the edge bevel you can make a template to check and adjust it or make a radiused sanding block. I've used a small cornice off cut for that before.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Cheers. The unfortunate thing is with the small neck route I wasn't going to use a pickguard just a chrome pickup surround. Re the rolled edge I'll have a look at making something or try and make friends with someone with a routing table.
    Last edited by Rossc0; 20-12-2017 at 03:57 PM.
    #1 LP1-SS
    #2 Non PB Vintage Strat Rebuild
    #3 TL1 - Custom
    #4 ES-12G (now converted to ES-1)
    #5 RC4
    #6 STA-1HT
    #7 Non PB 52 Tele replica
    #8 Coming Soon: 1970's Japanese Les Paul Special Resto.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Geez, this supposedly simple TL1 build is going to cause me a few more issues than I was planning on.

Bought a stewmac 4 way switching set, a Wilkinson bridge and a set of tonerider pickups.

The control cavity route is to narrow for the stewmac pots, the bridge might be too short to cover the bridge pickup route when lined up with the string through holes, and the bridge pickup route itself is too small to take the baseplate on the tonerider pickup!

Bugger, oh well break out the dremmel.
    #1 LP1-SS
    #3 TL1 - Custom
    #5 RC4
    #6 STA-1HT

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Quote Originally Posted by Rossc0 View Post
    Cheers. The unfortunate thing is with the small neck route I wasn't going to use a pickguard just a chrome pickup surround. Re the rolled edge I'll have a look at making something or try and make friends with someone with a routing table.
    Yeah that's annoying. The neck pick up route is pretty big too, finding a nice surround that will work might be tricky.

At least its bass wood, its easy to work with. This is part of the fun really, there is a lot of work that goes into getting a nice guitar out of a kit that isn't instantly obvious.

Because you are painting you will get away with a lot of changing things around. Just take your time prepping up the fills and repairs and it'll look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Yeah that's annoying. The neck pick up route is pretty big too, finding a nice surround that will work might be tricky.

At least its bass wood, its easy to work with. This is part of the fun really, there is a lot of work that goes into getting a nice guitar out of a kit that isn't instantly obvious.

Because you are painting you will get away with a lot of changing things around. Just take your time prepping up the fills and repairs and it'll look great.
    This was a custom order, the the neck pickup route is the right size for the single coil not the standard humberker size route, so that is one thing thats ok :-). Thats pictured in the link below.

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...7&d=1502498730
    Last edited by Rossc0; 24-12-2017 at 02:32 PM.
    #1 LP1-SS
    #3 TL1 - Custom
    #5 RC4
    #6 STA-1HT

Well this one if fighting me all the way. Pain in the arse, its nearly gone over the fence into the bush twice......
    #1 LP1-SS
    #3 TL1 - Custom
    #5 RC4
    #6 STA-1HT

Quote Originally Posted by Rossc0 View Post
    Geez, this supposedly simple TL1 build is going to cause me a few more issues than I was planning on.

Bought a stewmac 4 way switching set, a Wilkinson bridge and a set of tonerider pickups.

The control cavity route is to narrow for the stewmac pots, the bridge might be too short to cover the bridge pickup route when lined up with the string through holes, and the bridge pickup route itself is too small to take the baseplate on the tonerider pickup!

Bugger, oh well break out the dremmel.
    Sounds very similar to the mods I had to do on my TLA-1R, I had to enlarge the bridge pup rout and the control cavity for the pots as well.

I wouldn't worry about the small gap in the neck pocket, its a bolt on and the pickguard will cover it, however DK's idea about the shielding tape was a great idea.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Patience is not a virtue of mine, Trying to assist the tru oil drying process. Probably wasting my time, but it feels like I am doing something

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drying.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	23862
    Last edited by Rossc0; 31-12-2017 at 11:21 AM.
    #1 LP1-SS
    #3 TL1 - Custom
    #5 RC4
    #6 STA-1HT

We put fans on digital prints to help the solvent out gas quicker and I hang my guitars to dry with a fan circulating air around them. I think it makes a difference.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast