Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Fanned-Fret Conversion Strat Neck

Great work. I know it's nice being able to claw some good back from a mistake or something that's gone wrong, but it's also very nice when things go nice and smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Great work. I know it's nice being able to claw some good back from a mistake or something that's gone wrong, but it's also very nice when things go nice and smoothly.
    Thanks Simon. I kind of like, almost prefer, being able to claw things back from mistakes. Every mistake is a lesson!

So I did finish it all up on Tuesday (aside from oiling it). I was very fixated on getting it done though, so I didn't end up taking many pictures, but I don't believe a ton of eventful things happened.

I did have to deal with this issue though:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0080 (Custom).jpeg 
Views:	170 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	26618

The nut on the tuners, even screwed all the way in, did not end up clamping down on the headstock. A bit of time with a little saw later though, I cut 3mm or so off of each nut, and we got them all in, and secure.

Name:	DSC_0081 (Custom).jpeg 
Views:	164 
Size:	242.4 KB 
ID:	26620

After that though, I stained it with Feast Watson Prooftint, because that's all I could find in a hurry since I was very antsy to get it all done, gave the whole neck a coat with it. Then a few coats of Tru-Oil later:

Name:	DSC_0092 (Custom).jpeg 
Views:	167 
Size:	168.2 KB 
ID:	26619

Name:	DSC_0094 (Custom).jpeg 
Views:	180 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	26621

The headstock and fretboard are a bit darker than these pictures let on, but I'm still happy enough with it.

Name:	DSC_0098 (Custom).jpeg 
Views:	217 
Size:	208.3 KB 
ID:	26622

And on the guitar!! Got it strung up, and it's all intonating perfectly fine, which is a big, big relief. Happy with the fan too, it's very subtle and is barely noticeable to me (but then I do have a 2.3" fan on my 7-String so I mightn't be the best judge...) It's not totally set-up yet, still have to adjust the action and truss rod a smidge, but it's all on, it's all working, and it's so much nicer than my old neck.

Now it's time to get on to another full scratch build!!

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Very cool man.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Only just catching up on this, but this is so great!
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Thanks John, and Sonic too. I didn't respond previously because I wasn't sure if just saying a thanks would feel weird or anything, but seriously, thankyou guys for the support and appreciating the stuff I make. I really, genuinely appreciate it and it helps me push forwards even through whatever roadblocks come up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3