#004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Nice work B'lark
    Thanks John

Quick update before I sleep, don't think I have a ton to add word-wise so pics shall do most of the work

Snipped the fret-ends

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0051 (Custom).jpeg 
Views:	176 
Size:	297.6 KB 
ID:	26469

Trimmed the excess off the headstock, and cut back the veneers on the top to allow for the fretboard

Name:	DSC_0049 (Custom).jpeg 
Views:	155 
Size:	303.6 KB 
ID:	26470

Made a template for the headstock shape from the original neck because it would be easier to do that than use the actual headstock and deal with two necks stuck together

Name:	DSC_0053 (Custom).jpeg 
Views:	172 
Size:	249.7 KB 
ID:	26471

Routed most of the headstock shape with the newly made template

Name:	DSC_0054 (Custom).jpeg 
Views:	180 
Size:	261.3 KB 
ID:	26472

But oh dear, can you see the first oopsie??

Name:	DSC_0056 (Custom).jpeg 
Views:	160 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	26473

When I rough-cut the shape with the bandsaw, it didn't do the cleanest cut, so when I was routing this part of the Walnut popped off. Won't be a tough thing to fix though, and it won't be too obvious when it's stained

Name:	DSC_0058 (Custom).jpeg 
Views:	150 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	26474

Second oopsie. I thought I was touching the wood when I got to the end-grain, but I wasn't, and the router took a bit of a bite out. It's not too drastic though, fortunately, so all will work out.

Then with the Truss rod all sorted and everything fitting in place nicely, the fretboard was glued on.

Name:	DSC_0060 (Custom).jpeg 
Views:	154 
Size:	285.7 KB 
ID:	26475

Flush heel!!!!

Name:	DSC_0059 (Custom).jpeg 
Views:	157 
Size:	233.4 KB 
ID:	26476

I am glad it all managed to fit together rather nicely, but I will say though: I'm never doing the frets before attaching the fretboard again, it causes too much worry and feels like a bit of a leap of faith that it will all fit together properly. But it's on and looking good, so we're good for now, and happy days.

Now I'm gonna collapse. Be well, everyone, and may you have a lovely day

Quote Originally Posted by B'Lark View Post
    But oh dear, can you see the first oopsie??

Name:	DSC_0056 (Custom).jpeg 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	26473

When I rough-cut the shape with the bandsaw, it didn't do the cleanest cut, so when I was routing this part of the Walnut popped off. Won't be a tough thing to fix though, and it won't be too obvious when it's stained

Name:	DSC_0058 (Custom).jpeg 
Views:	150 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	26474

Second oopsie. I thought I was touching the wood when I got to the end-grain, but I wasn't, and the router took a bit of a bite out. It's not too drastic though, fortunately, so all will work out.

Then with the Truss rod all sorted and everything fitting in place nicely, the fretboard was glued on.

Name:	DSC_0060 (Custom).jpeg 
Views:	154 
Size:	285.7 KB 
ID:	26475

Flush heel!!!!

Name:	DSC_0059 (Custom).jpeg 
Views:	157 
Size:	233.4 KB 
ID:	26476

I am glad it all managed to fit together rather nicely, but I will say though: I'm never doing the frets before attaching the fretboard again, it causes too much worry and feels like a bit of a leap of faith that it will all fit together properly. But it's on and looking good, so we're good for now, and happy days.

Now I'm gonna collapse. Be well, everyone, and may you have a lovely day
    Yeah, I found that fun out with the P.E. SV, although mine was more due to the poor first up glue job allowing the board to separate from the neck. It’s amazing how much bow the frets induce in the board.

Wonderful work B, that is looking amazing.

edit: btw what glue are you using for the veneer/fretboard?
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    btw what glue are you using for the veneer/fretboard?
    Titebond II I believe. It's been put in other, smaller bottles though so I am not 100% certain

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Really enjoying watching this. Building my own neck is definitely something I want to have a go at.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Really enjoying watching this. Building my own neck is definitely something I want to have a go at.
    Thanks Sonic! Do it!! It's been enjoyable for sure, and I've learned a good few things from it too!!

On the final stretch now, should finish it up on Tuesday if nothing major happens, and if my tuners arrive...

First order of the day was to level out the fret ends, then rout the bulk of the neck to the fretboard

Name:	DSC_0063 (Custom).jpeg 
Views:	152 
Size:	293.7 KB 
ID:	26519

Then touch up the spots between the fretboard and the routed section of the headstock

Name:	DSC_0066 (Custom).jpeg 
Views:	149 
Size:	281.5 KB 
ID:	26520

With that done, I decided to abandon cutting off a new bit of veneer and gluing it to the headstock to tidy it up, and just turn the stuff-up in to something more interesting! Quite pleased with how it turned out, honestly

Name:	DSC_0068 (Custom).jpeg 
Size:	245.7 KB 
ID:	26521

Then finally, shaping the neck. Got most of that done today, but will need to finish it up next week.

Name:	DSC_0070 (Custom).jpeg 
Views:	174 
Size:	223.6 KB 
ID:	26522

Now that's my sort of neck thickness there haha

So yea, finishing up the neck carve, popping tuners on, bit of staining and oiling is all that's left! I'm super keen to be able to use it

Quote Originally Posted by B'Lark View Post
    Thanks guys

Titebond II I believe. It's been put in other, smaller bottles though so I am not 100% certain
    Interesting...where does the black colour come from?
    Fantastic work to watch and its wonderful that you have documented it so well for the Forum, Thank you for that effort. It may spark a spate of Scratch build necks. (I'm looking at you @Sonic Mountain. You too @Andy40)
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Interesting...where does the black colour come from?
    Fantastic work to watch and its wonderful that you have documented it so well for the Forum, Thank you for that effort. It may spark a spate of Scratch build necks. (I'm looking at you @Sonic Mountain. You too @Andy40)
    That I'm also not sure of. I've always forgotten to ask, Matt (the guy running the building classes) just calls them black veneers. I will try to remember to ask about both of your questions on Tuesday.

And no worries!! If I can inspire people to do their own things along these lines that would be amazing and more than I'd ever expected to come from sharing my experiences And as always, thanks for the kind words, I really do appreciate it all

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast