Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Marcel's scratch build AC15 based clone

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Marcel's scratch build AC15 based clone

As some of you know in the recent past I built a 2204 style head out of an old defunct 1970's Playmaster chassis. I didn't do a build diary for it and only have the result to show everyone. So to make a difference I'm doing a build diary on my latest amp build that is loosely based on a mid '90's AC15 circuit.

The objective is to build a clean 15W EL84 based amp with tremolo..

After scouring dozens of circuits from VOX, WEM, Gretch, Hohner, Hynes, Watkins, Marshall and the AX84 web site, and researching parts suitability and availability, the VOX AC15 circuit suited most of my needs. As I couldn't find original VOX transformers but could find 18W Marshall types I'll be using those instead and then making adjustments to the circuit as required. Marshall do have a reasonable 18W combo amp (from where the transformers came) but it does not have a tremolo feature, however some aspects of that circuit may be needed to make this project work.

As it stands, I have most of the important bits like HV caps, tag strips, pots, knobs, tubes, sockets, transformers and a chassis from Jaycar. Still waiting on delivery of numerous resistors and various caps from RS-online.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170727_143915_resized.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	410.6 KB 
ID:	21148  

Got stuck into doing some of the much needed metal work... Cabac make and awesome multi sized hole reamer...

The power transformer is just sitting there. needs the square hole for the windings to be cut out. The other parts are pretty well in their correct positions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170727_171751_resized.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	417.6 KB 
ID:	21149   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170727_171806_resized.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	395.0 KB 
ID:	21150  

I was going to suggest ClassicTone, but clearly there's no need.
    Scott.

I'd like to hear your reasoning behind the suggestion WeirdBits.

Main reason I got them was availability... would be good to have more info...

Great thread Marcel, much amp building jealously !!

fortunately for me my tube amp desires are currently satisfied..... but that wont last . trying to save for a custom pitbull kit atm. fingerscrossed, scratchy lappy has left me wanting more and to really feel part of this awesome commune

look forward to watching your progress

regards
    Guv

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    ... hear your reasoning ...
    Just availablility, price, range and a few from here have purchased from them before. They seem to have options not available elsewhere or at least at better prices.
    Scott.

I know it's somewhat after the horse is through the gate but have you also had a look at 18Watt.com and all it's sub branches

https://www.18watt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    I know it's somewhat after the horse is through the gate but have you also had a look at 18Watt.com and all it's sub branches

Is this normal ? ...for some reason, every time i read the various articles on this site , i.e guitars / amps / pedals / upgrades etc. my brain goes fuzzy, my credit card gets twitchy and i sense a whining noise coming from the mrs.....?

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guvna19 View Post
    Is this normal ? ...for some reason, every time i read the various articles on this site , i.e guitars / amps / pedals / upgrades etc. my brain goes fuzzy, my credit card gets twitchy and i sense a whining noise coming from the mrs.....?
    Perfectly normal....
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

10. Liked by: Guvna19

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post

It's never too late... One can always jump onto another horse and rope in the buggar that bolted...

I went and had a quick look at the 18watt site. Lots of good info there but as yet haven't found anything to change my current plans on this build. Truth be known I've been actively planning this amp build for about 4 months now so barring unexpected events there are only a few things left open for modification. That also doesn't mean that once power does finally flow through this little beastie that there will be nil tweaking and sweetening.

As for the 'whining noises' from the better half I have that under control Guvna19... In the next few months She's getting a new sowing room, an en-suite and a kitchen makeover... Maybe it's all getting out of control...lol

12. Liked by: Guvna19

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast