Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SG Bass and Guitar

SG Bass and Guitar

With this build you get 2 for the price of 1. The finished guitar I did about 5 years ago with a kit from another Australian website before I found Pitbull. I replaced the original humbucker pups with a set of Agent 90's from Realparts and finished it in a cherry stain which seeing as this was my fourth build after my 335 I was happy but now after a few builds I am not and want to change it to look the same as the SG bass I got from Pitbull. I am going to replace the pickguard with a full guard which means partially plugging the neck pup cut-out and putting in a new one. I am going to paint it black and replace the tuners with some original Klusons so it looks a little more like a store bought and not a generic kit.It plays and sounds good with the exception of the frets which were finished incorrectly when I got it so I may change them and redo the nut. When playing the high E has a tendency to slip off the side when doing pull offs due to the fret ends having too much angle.

I have 2 of all the popular guitars, like the LP , strat and tele , 4 store bought and 7 kit, so I wanted another SG but I decided to go for a bass as I only have 1 bass and would like some more. As for the Pitbull bass I am going to do it in black paint, replace the pickguard with a home made one to match the full guard as on the guitar and replace the 2 pickups with just 1 which means plugging a few of the other control holes. Still deciding what pup to use but it comes down to the dollar cost. Was looking at either a Kent Armstrong or a TV Jones. Was leaning towards the Kent as I have used them before and like them but depends on how much postage as at this moment the cost of postage is almost as much as the pup.

As per pictures I marked out the side bevels last night and went shopping this morning and got some wood rasps and roughed the bevels. Will finish the bevels with files and start sanding and put a radius around the outside. Once I have finished I will then strip the hardware off the guitar and put the same bevels on it to match the bass.
    The kit tuners were a little rough and were binding when turned due to a burr on the end so I stripped them and took the rough edges off and gave them a good lube with some Vaseline and now they are really smooth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sg guitar.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	21047   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top marked out.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	21048   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bottom marked out.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	21049   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bottom roughed out.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	21050   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top roughed out.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	218.8 KB 
ID:	21051  

Last edited by Dikkybee007; 24-07-2017 at 10:05 AM.
    Builds :
    # 1 - Non PBG ES-335
    # 2 - Non PBG Tele Thin line
    # 3 - Non PBG LP
    # 4 - Non PBG SG
    # 5 - RC-1
    # 6 - TL-1
    # 7 - ST-1 Custom
    # 8 - SGB-30 + Non PBG SG
    # 9 - Custom JRM-1DC 12 String
    #10 - Custom ST-1 with P90's
    #11 - Custom TL-1 with 27" Bari Neck
    #12 - Custom JZ-6 Jazzmaster
    #13 - AG-1 Factory Second
    #14 - Custom JZ-6 Bass vi
    #15 - EX-1R Factory Second
    #16 - AGM-1
    #17 - EXA-7

2. Liked by: wazkelly

looks good with the heavy bevels Dickkybee. So that's pics of the SG guitar, are you building a SG bass as well ?
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Overlord of Music
    Hell yeah, bevels look awesome! Sanding them is tons of fun too [sarcasm].
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Sorry about the confusion. The bass is an unfinished Pitbull kit which I started last night and the guitar is a finished playable guitar that I finished about 5 years ago. I am going to redo the guitar so it has the same look as the bass. I will be doing the same bevels on the guitar as I have on the bass so the only difference will be the number of strings. When I finished the guitar I rushed it a little bit just so I could play it and it just didn't finish as well as I would have liked it so after getting the bass I thought I would redo the guitar to get it to where I should have got it in the first place. I really don't like the finish I got on the guitar and now I want a gloss finish rather than the matt. It needs some work to the frets as I never levelled them as I had no idea about how to setup the action so I had to try and strike a compromise between being able to play it by having a high action. Unfortunately since then I have found I like as low as possible action so I have to do some work to get it to where I like it. I was thinking of replacing the frets with maybe some jumbos as I do like the higher frets so I would have to replace the nut. Since I started doing the kits I have learned so much about guitar setup and all my earlier guitars will all be getting a refinish to where I like them. As for the sanding I am retired so I can have as many nanna naps as necessary and if aint done today it will be done at some later stage as there is always tomorrow.
    Builds :
    # 1 - Non PBG ES-335
    # 3 - Non PBG LP
    # 4 - Non PBG SG
    # 5 - RC-1
    # 6 - TL-1
    # 7 - ST-1 Custom
    #16 - AGM-1
    #17 - EXA-7

Overlord of Music
    Good to know. Haha. Just be aware of the direction of the grain and use a round sanding block (I used a bottle) to get into the inner horns.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

no worries cheers Dickybee that clears up the confusion. Look forward to seeing both the guitar and bass finished
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Great to see another SG with wider bevels. Had a lot of fun reshaping mine! And I reckon that's how all the SG bevels should be!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    #1- STA1M - Completed Jan16 - GOTM Feb16 - Here
    #2- IB5 - Completed Aug16 - Here
    #3- 335 style 12 strings - 3rd build - Almost done - Here
    No #- SG1 'Franck Zappa' - Completed Apr16 for a friend - No build diary (yet?)
    #4- 'The Red Plywood Strat' - Completed Aug16 - Here
    #5- ST-1JR Star Wars - Completed Dec16 - Here
    #6- SG 3 pickups - Almost done - Here
    #7- JBA-4M JPJ Bass - Completed Mar18 - Here

So this morning I had some filling to do on a knot that seemed to get bigger the more I sanded it. I have now finished sanding with 120 all over and am happy with the finish as all cutter marks are gone and the finish is equal all over. I turned up a couple of plugs to fill the control holes I no longer need and have glued them in and will leave over night to make sure they are totally dried. Tomorrow or there about I will level the plugs down to the top face and apply some wood filler. I bevelled the holes and plugs so I get enough filler into the join so it leaves no visible line or crack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hole prep.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	21074   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finished sanding.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	240.1 KB 
ID:	21075  
    Builds :
    # 1 - Non PBG ES-335
    # 3 - Non PBG LP
    # 4 - Non PBG SG
    # 5 - RC-1
    # 6 - TL-1
    # 7 - ST-1 Custom
    #16 - AGM-1
    #17 - EXA-7

Looks good, can't wait to get started on mine... although, I'll be plugging different holes.
    Scott.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast