Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Marcel's auction win JK2 (PBG build #4)

Marcel's auction win JK2 (PBG build #4)

I put a bid in, watched a movie with the granddaughters, won the auction, waited a few days.... and here it is... Qty 1 x JK2 kit.

While it is vastly different visually to all my other builds, on first close inspection it seems to be one of the easiest kits to assemble. Except for 3 very simple holes all of the other needed holes are pre-drilled. No complicated wiring or switching. No binding or complicated veneers to deal with. It seems that all I'll need is a few minutes with the sand paper, a suitable finish, a #2 phillips screwdriver, and a few moments with a soldering iron to get this build done. But then there is reality.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170718_122801_resized.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	378.6 KB 
ID:	20912  

good one Marcel what did you pick up the kit for ? what are the stain plans ?
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Hi Wokka, I was amazed that I won it at only $122.50 as I certainly 'bid max' quite a bit higher, so it was certainly a cheap kit to win.

With the black hardware I have had ideas of going all out gloss black, or maybe trying for a washed white... As has been the case with most of my recent builds I ask the women in my life what they think it should be and then I go and do something totally opposite... usually it is whatever they shake their head 'No' to is what I go ahead and do .... lol

Nil plans for upgrades yet. Think I'll stick with the kit parts until something annoys me and then make changes from there...

Sounds good Marcel. Think white or black will look good.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Oh man! I want one of those too!! One more LP after the one I'm currently building, then maybe one of these or an SG shape ... or all of the above ... I realise that I actually like building them more than needing to own one. But I'll be happy to own many, don't worry about that. Maybe I'll customise them and pass them to friends and family ... (like that's going to happen!)

You are preaching to the converted Darryl.

In some ways it matters little if the result plays well or not there are so many on this forum that don't necessarily need that extra guitar but simply just enjoy the construction aspect of the hobby. And then there is, like you implied, where your wonderful build spends the rest of its days. For me I often wonder as I'm sanding or polishing who out of all my young grand-kids will find a passion for the axe and if any will ultimately become the proud owner of most if not all of my builds. I will be in wonder for a while as the oldest of the many is still only 7yo.

Quote Originally Posted by darryl.bellotti View Post
    Oh man! I want one of those too!! One more LP after the one I'm currently building, then maybe one of these or an SG shape ... or all of the above ... I realise that I actually like building them more than needing to own one. But I'll be happy to own many, don't worry about that. Maybe I'll customise them and pass them to friends and family ... (like that's going to happen!)
    Oh yeah, I'm with you on that sentiment. If I think they're good enough when I've finished I might offload to friends or family that show an interest. If I'm not happy with them they will get re-worked or cannibalised for other projects.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

A quick note at where this kit is at...

I was talking with my brother (who lives in an apartment in Sydney) and the subject of his son coming up to stay with me for a week during the September school holidays was tossed into the conversation. In a moment of brainstorming I suggested that with my help and guidance he (the Nephew) could build the JK-2 in my workshop while he was here, and as it has a bolt on neck he could easily take the build home on the plane in the PBG box it originally came in. My brother thought it was a great idea.

Roll on school holidays....

You've surely got a lock on Favourite Uncle status!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

I may be a favourite Uncle however that doesn't stop other events in the rest of the world from interrupting.

Seems the Nephews Grandma on his Mums side has taken ill, so he and his Mum will be jetting off to Spain to visit her. No September school holidays with his favourite Uncle.... and after a chat with my brother I doubt the end of year Summer holiday in tropical Queensland would be that wise for a Sydney based European born kid who is way more comfortable with a set of ski's in knee deep Snow. And Easter is a bit long to wait.

The thought (and the Axe) was there...

I'll probably complete this build after my SGM-1 is done...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast