Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: A TB-4 Build whilst a BG-46 dries.

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Nice one ozz a great looking bass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

Hi, reading your post I see you have finished this beautiful example, nicely done 👍.
    A question if I may, did using epoxy resin to hold the mounting plugs for the bridge work? I've just recieved my kit and am a little concerned about how lose the lugs are during my mock up, placed in the body I can flip the bass over and they just fall out.
    Thank you.

Mine...all three...went in pretty tightly....but I did use some epoxy too.

Remember that the earth wire will have to go into one of the bushing holes....mine was pre-drilled.

I poked a stripped back wire through from the control cavity into a bushing hole.....toothpick wiped epoxy onto that bushing away from the wire contact point.

I hope you don’t have any string height issues with your bridge.
    Runner Up G.O.T.M. November 2020. Custom SHB-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2018. MMB-5

Winner G.O.T.M. March 2018. JBA-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2017. BG-46

Thanks for your reply.
    I did pick up some epoxy resin for the job and am hoping it works... the earth wire hole is pre drilled and will be making sure I have an earth when installing the bridge lugs... still concerned how lose they are, have read a few horror stories about these bridges, fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post
    Thanks for your reply.
    I did pick up some epoxy resin for the job and am hoping it works... the earth wire hole is pre drilled and will be making sure I have an earth when installing the bridge lugs... still concerned how lose they are, have read a few horror stories about these bridges, fingers crossed.
    Just a query....are you sure you are inserting the mounting bushes themselves?

I have just checked all three basses/guitars I have with the three point bridge and none of them are loose in the holes.

The bridge mounts are two piece....and adjustable inner pin with a screw thread...and a bushing with both a socket with vertical splines on the outside to lock into the wood....and a thread in the inside for the pin to screw into.

As in the picture attached....the pin unscrews out of the socket bushing that hammers into the guitar body.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Ozzbike, really appreciate your reply and assistance here.

I’m at work currently so am working form memory, but… during mock up I placed the mounting bushings with the inner treaded pins screwed into the bushings into the bass body, the bushings do have vertical splines and a wider section at the top which sits on top of the body… I assume? the top section has a slightly wider diameter, so driving that part into the body would defeat the purpose of the splines I would say, and damage the body.

The bushings (with pins screwed in) slip into the pre drilled holes effortlessly, no hammer required, bar one, which offers some resistance… but not much, as mentioned, I can then flip the bass over and 2 of the 3 bushings can fall out.
    I did at the time think they should definitely be more snug fitting, but read on this thread about using an epoxy resin to hold them in so figured that’s just what you have to do with these things, it’s my first build so I’m very much learning as I go… I did continue on with sanding stage and preparing the body for the first coat of stain, as an ex car painter this part of the build I feel comfortable with, in hindsight I really should have stopped there to resolve the issue before moving on….

Thinking.. Houston, we may have a problem here....

The sizings.

Coops,

I have this Explorer bass I am nearly finished and it has a three point bridge.....took these photos to help...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	175.2 KB 
ID:	31205   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	31206   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	31207   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	31208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	31209  

Measurements.

I got the micrometer out and measured the bushing and the hole.

The bushing is tapered and this measurement is up the top at its widest.

The hole has a little body filler and finish etc hanging around the top of the hole.....so close but not too much.

My view...maybe others have done it correctly....get some dowel...thick enough to give you a dimension of 10mm.

I think most people that have done the hole filling have had to find a dowel that had the fluted sides and sand it down smooth.

So you need a dowel that gives you a smooth side of ten mm diameter.

I would suggest gluing the holes and re drilling to the size you thinnest end of the bushing measures.....so just under 10mm.

I wish you luck....I don't think epoxy on its own will hold the bushing in against the pull of the big bass strings.

**I just had a read and thought about my advice. I don't think 10mm will help.....I think the hole you will drill needs to be 10mm...so the dowel will need to be thicker than that I think. Oh, I hope somebody else with better skills can help.***

You will then have the issue of the earth wire hole.....ouch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	31211   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	31210  

Quote Originally Posted by ozzbike View Post
    I got the micrometer out and measured the bushing and the hole.

The bushing is tapered and this measurement is up the top at its widest.

The hole has a little body filler and finish etc hanging around the top of the hole.....so close but not too much.

My view...maybe others have done it correctly....get some dowel...thick enough to give you a dimension of 10mm.

I think most people that have done the hole filling have had to find a dowel that had the fluted sides and sand it down smooth.

So you need a dowel that gives you a smooth side of ten mm diameter.

I would suggest gluing the holes and re drilling to the size you thinnest end of the bushing measures.....so just under 10mm.

I wish you luck....I don't think epoxy on its own will hold the bushing in against the pull of the big bass strings.

**I just had a read and thought about my advice. I don't think 10mm will help.....I think the hole you will drill needs to be 10mm...so the dowel will need to be thicker than that I think. Oh, I hope somebody else with better skills can help.***

You will then have the issue of the earth wire hole.....ouch.
    The pre drilled holes are larger than what you have, mine measure 11mm or just a hair under, I can push the bushings in with one finger, so I definitely have a problem

I've emailed the team and will wait to see what they come back with, thanks for your help.

Hey, yup sorry me again... sorry to hijack your thread.
    The team have replied to my email and suggested I wrap some electrical tape around the bushings before inserting them... before I answer their email I thought I'd get a second opinion, I'm not convinced that would work in the long run... a temporary fix yes, but I am hoping for a bass that I will own, play and enjoy for years to come and not have to worry about the bridge randomly pulling out one day.
    It's turned out to be a major downer having waited for this kit to become available again.
    I've tracked down some bushes (inserts) with a larger diameter... I could 1. Wrap electrical tape around the bushes supplied and hope for the best 2. Drill out the holes slightly to accommodate the larger inserts or 3. Take the larger inserts to an engineer mate to turn them down to fit the original holes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast