Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Robbo's TL-1TB

are those swings the same colour? or is it the light?
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

No just a coincidence. They are pretty close tough

Robbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Long time between posts as not much has happened, until today...

Life has been hectic so the poor old guitar project took a back seat, but I had a few hours today to bang her together in the hope of using her for our New Years Eve gig...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FBF618F7-7B89-4559-8B39-F3B1A7DA664E.jpeg 
Views:	152 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	23845

It’s not 100% perfect but when I get time I’ll go back and make it so, but spare time is super rare at the moment so I have to make do. The two main problems are (I’ve never owned a bigsby style tremolo before so I could be wrong) the tremolo arm seems to sit pretty high so I’ll probably get a shorter spring. The other problem is I replaced the nut with a Graphtech one and the strings hit the first fret, even with the action at twice what I would normally run at. I didn’t take any off the bottom of it before installing so I’m a bit bummed but I’m sure I’ll be able to work out a shim to get it to a more suitable height. It’s not too bad, the strings just rattle a little on open strings, so I’ll still use it for a song or two, I’ll just make sure the songs have no open chords

Anyway, thanks for looking and have a safe new year...

Robbo

5. Liked by: Derek82, OliSam

It's turned out nice. I think the "bigsby" sits a bit high because it needs the clearance over the knobs. I got this model as well. It's been my main guitar for the last few years.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

7. Liked by: Derek82

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockfactor View Post

The other problem is I replaced the nut with a Graphtech one and the strings hit the first fret, even with the action at twice what I would normally run at. I didn’t take any off the bottom of it before installing so I’m a bit bummed but I’m sure I’ll be able to work out a shim to get it to a more suitable height.
    I had that problem on my JMA kit. I ended up shimming it with a bit of street sweeper wire and then eventually filing a very small amount off to bring it back down a bit. It's great where it is now.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Robbo's TL-1TB

Well, I have ruined the finish on this through a “learning experience”. You’ve probably seen this photo of rubber from a guitar stand I’ve posted a couple of times...

I though a little squirt of oomph would lift it right off... no no no no no no no...

The finish went all soft and the rag just smudged it and I took the finish off all the way through in one spot.

Oh well, might experiment with some different colours.

Robbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rockfactor; 19-04-2018 at 07:11 PM.

I think you might be able to save this finish, I'd let it go hard for a few days, then rub it back just locally, remove the strap button and you should be able to spray that area in. Mask the front completely and the binding, but let the paint overspray across the back of the guitar, you can polish that off when it is good and hard. That's how they repair cars, they don't respray the whole thing. The paint you are using is self priming so you won't have to worry about primer for the local repair.
    I'm not sure what you used to remove the smudge, some of these paints soften with methanol for a long time, it might have had that in it.

Yeah I’ll have a go at saving it as a learning experience. If it doesn’t work I have some other ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by Rockfactor View Post
    Well, I have ruined the finish on this through a “learning experience”. You’ve probably seen this photo of rubber from a guitar stand I’ve posted a couple of times...

I though a little squirt of oomph would lift it right off... no no no no no no no...

The finish went all soft and the rag just smudged it and I took the finish off all the way through in one spot.

Oh well, might experiment with some different colours.

Robbo

Relic!!!

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast