Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Marcel's ES-1TL

If there is one thing we always have it's Hope OliSam...

This was my second set neck. My first must have been made and routed perfectly as everything went together so nicely. But this one was significantly tighter from the outset.

When the kit first arrived during the dry fit it was originally was so tight that with less that 50% of the neck in the body I could pick up and hold the neck at any angle and the body would not move. Even with a gentle shake the 50% engagement held firm. Only concerted effort could pry the dry fit neck and body apart. I was told that humidity could be an issue as the wood swells in high humidity, so after nearly a week of dry weather and RH levels of less than 30% I tried it again and yes the fit was somewhat looser. But obviously not loose enough to allow an easy fit with TiteBond added to the show, and hence the drama of my little story....

My tip on optimal neck fit....On a dry fit - firm enough to gently vertical lift the neck and body by the neck, but not quite tight enough to hold the body up with the neck held horizontal.

The products used are another story for me....

Added to the mix are the generally warmer temps of the tropic of Capricorn and the different RH we experience here and most American products like TiteBond and Minwax wipe on Poly don't always work as advertised as they are all made for snowman country and not places that never normally see single digit or less Celsius temps. I've watched so many YouTube videos of these products in use and they ALL have one thing in common, the dude presenting the show is ALLWAYS rugged up with more jumpers and chequered shirts than I even owned when I lived in Melbourne, so it's no wonder I have to work like an amphetamine loaded Speedy-Gonzales whenever I use those otherwise pretty awesome products... About the only thing that does work near close to as advertised is Shellac which for this slow old Tiger and obvious reasons is currently is my favourite finish...

To emphasise the point, I Minwax wipe on Poly coated a Strat body during the past week.... was averaging 3 coats a day which included dry scuff sanding between coats.... mind you each coat had to be fully applied to the entire body inside a 2 to 3 minute period as any work done after the window would leave marks or wipe traces in the coat. I have an earlier Tele build which were done in my summer and by the time I reached the other end of the body the poly coat was tack dry at the point I started, then I'd have to flip the body to do the other side, and then the edges. So it's needless to say I got to be pretty quick in applying coats and it was nil distractions and 100% get the job done within the window of 'local application time'.

But hey, it's winter here now, the days a filled with sunshine and I have a short sleeve shirt on, so I'm not complaining...

2. Liked by: OliSam, wazkelly

Not quite the colour I wanted, but it's getting close... another few layers of Blue should see it closer to where I want ...

As I was finishing applying the colour I had the thought that maybe I should have started with the medium Blue under the Green instead of light Green under the Blue... You live and learn...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170619_160520_resized.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	372.6 KB 
ID:	20090   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170619_170729_resized.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	409.6 KB 
ID:	20091   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170619_170658_resized.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	405.9 KB 
ID:	20092  
    Last edited by Marcel; 19-06-2017 at 04:13 PM.

4. Liked by: Guvna19

Marcel the colour looks good. It's common to not get the colour you wanted but sure it will grow on you. It should darken a bit with clear coats
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

I'm still of two minds on that Wokka.... Do I change and go the TruOil path, or stick with my original Shellac idea. I know that TruOil will keep the colour as is, and the Shellac could add a slight Yellow tint which may bring out the Green more and give better depth.

The two darker photos were taken while it was still wet so they're fairly representative on how it will turn out... Either way I'd still prefer it to be a bit more Blue. Used a water based Analine dye from U-Beaut that is designed to go under Shellac... The pale Green undercoat colour was photographed earlier and once it had dried.

Sorry to hear about the troubles with the neck Marcel! Colour looks good though
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    Not quite the colour I wanted, but it's getting close... another few layers of Blue should see it closer to where I want ...

As I was finishing applying the colour I had the thought that maybe I should have started with the medium Blue under the Green instead of light Green under the Blue... You live and learn...
    Luv the colour marcel

Some wicked Grain patterns showing through on that back. Will interesting to see what the extra blue coats do to the eventual finished shade. Maybe an emerald sort of green?
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

I think the grain you're seeing there FW is more the patchy drying of the stain... There is grain to be seen, but sadly there is not much of it...and in some unexpected places it's not taking the stain very well (or too well)... which I'll simply just call 'character'....lol

The first clear (Shellac) coat will reveal the truth...

Hi Marcel. I've done a couple of kits now with a Tru-Oil finish. I found it does tend to yellow the finish slightly but you can add stain to it . so you can compensate the colour with each coat.

Another coat of a stronger mix of the Blue and the colour hasn't changed much, so with mixed emotions I think it is going to be what it is....

Funny thing was my applicator rag when I first started was Blue, but by the end was the same colour as the build. Seems I am pulling out some of the light Green as I go but not enough to be of any significance.

I'll leave it for a day or so and then start on the repetitive elbow grease work.... applying the Shellac... Until then and to stop idle fingers I'll experiment with some modifications tp my home built 2204 50W head.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast