I pulled the plug and ordered a kit from Pit Bull Guitars last week. I ordered a custom kit (go big or go to Guitar Center, right?). I picked an RC-4 bass since I want to buy a traditional Ric bass someday. Then I got to thinking... I'm going to buy a real Ric down the road. Why not just make something completely different? How about an all-mahogany set-neck Ric, with an ebony fretboard without inlays, and a 5-hole Fender-ish bridge? I always liked those all-mahogany Gibson basses, so let's go for it, sure.

The kit is ordered, it'll likely be here at the end of June, or in the first part of July. I'm in the process of ordering parts when I can find them. I'll be posting updates as parts arrive, and when I get the electronics figured out. I just wanted to get this thread set up.

My plan is to use 4-wire humbuckers in the neck and bridge positions and use a series/parallel toggle for each pickup, stereo a la rick-o-sound, and a Hipshot Kickass bridge. I want to see how those "Creative Cuts" fretboard inlays on eBay look, maybe the lightning bolt ones similar to the Angus Young SG inlays... all brainstorming.

Let me know if you have pickup suggestions for an axe like this, and what colors you'd recommend (leaning towards cherry red or natural brown stains from Crimson Guitars). I'm looking into a Duncan NYC Bass pickup for the bridge, in particular, and maybe a Strat-size humbucker in the pickguard in the neck position.

This is what I have mocked up so far:
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_3.png 
Views:	420 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	19824