Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: TLA-1F (First Build)

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    Hey JSergeant,
    I usually don't worry about sanding sealer but usually apply timbermate after 240 grit.

Sometimes a darker grain filler brings out any nice grain in the ash so go for ebony timbermate
    Thanks wokkaboy
    Current Build:
    TLA-1F - Jötunn

tummy cut and headstock look great JSergeant
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

3. Liked by: jsergeant

Hey, JSerge.

Great looking kit mate. Haven't come across the slab glue angle thing as yet. thats a bit weird.

If you have a look at my TLA-1R I only used neutral timbermate. not much grain pop but as i used a dark stain it did take in the grain a bit. by contrast if you look at my STA-HT, I grain popped with ebony timbermate and used the same stain as the tele. looks much better.

I usually sand ash, 180, 240 and 320 then timbermate, used 240 to get the timbermate off and then 320 again and 400 before staining (if you are staining).

I also polish the binding with 600, 1200 then 2000 grit before taping it up if you are going to stain any of the guitar.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Awesome, thanks Andy. The ebony grain fill on your STA-HT looks great. I haven't decided if I'll go quite that dark just yet, as I'm not sure how it will look with the blue stain I'm planning for the flame maple veneer and given that I don't think I'll be staining back/sides.

This afternoon I've also been wondering about a very light white washing. Have had a bit of a look around the forum but can't seem to see anyone having gone down this route. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience regarding this? Nothing too in depth, have only just been pondering it and still undecided whether it'd fit in the colour scheme either.

EDIT: Found this one but a little too heavy on the wash. Hmm might pass on it.
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ght=white+wash
    Last edited by jsergeant; 06-06-2017 at 03:04 PM.
    Current Build:
    TLA-1F - Jötunn

Hmm am now having another thought. Does anyone happen to know how a white grain filler with blue dye added might turn out on ash? Would the blue be evident or is it likely to just achieve a similar result as that of a dark grain filler?

Edit: I'm guessing I may need to try this out myself. Does anyone in Brisbane know where I could pick up some Ash and Flame Maple scraps by any chance?
    Last edited by jsergeant; 06-06-2017 at 06:42 PM.
    Current Build:
    TLA-1F - Jötunn

Hey Sergeant looking good.. the blue dyed grain filler will likely give you a very similar effect as the ebony timbermate. Take a look at my pbh-4 build I did ebony timbermate and stained over it. The flamed maple will not take much if any grain filler because it is a very tight grained veneer, so you won't get the same effect on it. Plus you would have to be very careful sanding back the filler because the veneer is so thin. If you did the dark grain filler I would lightly stain the top with black and rub out with fine sanding pad then put the blue over that. The flames will pick up the blue and between the flames will pick up the dark and make them pop.. watch videos on YouTube from BigDguitars he has lots of good finishing videos with flames and quilted maple tops, but remember he is not using thin veneer so you will need to modify to fit your situation.

I was thinking more for the back/sides having the natural ash colour showing through a blue grain fill (white or natural timber mate with blue stain added). Just not sure if the blue would actually stand out at all.

Does anyone know where to obtain minwax stains on Brisbane by any chance?
    Current Build:
    TLA-1F - Jötunn

Oh I see ... I think if the blue was a dark blue it would for sure pop the grain with a natural finish.. you can see a few pics on my build that was the ebony grain filler then wiped down with naptha to let you see what it would look like with clear over it. I have a scrap piece of ash I think and some natural timbermate. If you post a pic of the color blue you want I will mix up some filler and show you what it would look like..

Quote Originally Posted by jsergeant View Post
    As I've mentioned in a previous post, I've never actually played a Telecaster. Is it normal for the neck to sit so high?
    Don't think this got answered. The answer is yes, and that's actually lower than on my Fender Tele, which is about 9.5mm from the body to the top of the fret. Yours looks to be around 8mm. You'd normally also have 2mm-2.5mm of pickguard as well, which takes out some of the apparent height.

Thanks Drummerdude, that would be very greatly appreciated. I think I'd describe what I'm after to be an "unnatural finish" For a test run I'd be happy to see if the blue stands out at all, anywhere along this gradient really but I guess somewhere slightly right of middle https://goo.gl/images/cejzdL

If I had a piece of scrap I'd try out a range of options. My concern would be with the blue stain on the filler effecting the non-grain areas.

EDIT: keep in mind I have no idea what I'm doing. It could be that what I'm imagining isn't possible or will just look completely horrible
    Last edited by jsergeant; 07-06-2017 at 07:05 AM.
    Current Build:
    TLA-1F - Jötunn

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast