Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood dye or water based stain with Tru-Oil?

Wood dye or water based stain with Tru-Oil?

Hey there:

So I have 2 issues. I have two SH-1 necks. One I made the mistake of using a hybrid stain on which contains sealer, varnish and stain in one product. Wondering if there is any way I could remove this product and get back to bare wood. My other neck is unfinished and I want it to have the roasted maple look and then tru-oil it for a nice smooth feel. What to use for the color? Wood dye or water based stain? Need some advice, so hoping on lots of responses.

Thanks!

Overlord of Music
    Best way to remove finish, in my opinion, is sandpaper and elbow grease. I don't like chemical strippers. As for colour, no difference. The tru oil will work well with both.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

You are 100% right .. about a half hour and I have it back to bare wood! No more hybrid stain. So happy. Now to do it right. So stain and tru-oil will work well eh? I am going for that roasted maple look. Thinking a walnut stain with a few coats of tru-oil.

Overlord of Music
    Hit it with the walnut and then sand back lightly until you get the tone you're after, remembering it will darken and amber slightly with the oil. Or if you want authentic 'roasting' you could try blow-torching it. Inherent risks involved with that though.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

I guess Minwax water based stain will be best with the tru-oil? That hybrid stain never seemed to dry fully. Really sticky, so happy to get rid of it. Picking up the stain tomorrow and got some of the tru-oil already.

Name:  mwbws_americanwalnut_300.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  8.3 KB

American Walnut is the color of choice.

Good way to see if there are any scratches from sanding? Looks very smooth, but anything I can pre-rub on it to check this. New to finishing, so thought I would ask some questions to be sure. Just wiped it with a micro fiber cloth, and it is really smooth. up to 400 grit, and sanded by hand.

Overlord of Music
    Wipe down with shellite/naptha will show any remaining scratches. Ask away, we're here to help.

My Dad showed me a good trick for surface finishes - on cars mainly, but works well for timber.
    Shut your eyes and run your hands over it - if you can feel it, you can see it later...
    Dyes will tend to show up scratches and machine marks as darker lines in the finish

Overlord of Music
    That's a good one too Stan. I do this all the time without really thinking about it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast