Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Maddog's Lamington Jr Amplifier build diary

Just thinking on my feet about the earthing.

A bit late for this project but lining the underside of the tray/chassis with copper shielding would be the go or maybe better on top so the risk of glue failure and the foil sagging down onto hot terminals is removed , bolts through the copper foil to mount the bits underneath would sort the connectivity issue

The method used in this design is to wire everything to ground AFAICT

As long as there are ground wires going from all the ground points to the Star-Grounding system, it's not going to make any difference if the baking tray is covered with PTFE, although the baking tray itself should be at least grounded at the Star-Ground itself so that it can act as a shield.

What I would do is this, drill a hole in the baking tray at some convenient point, a hole for a power transformer mounting-screw would be a good example, then use some sand paper to sand-away the PTFE coating, then work out exactly how many ground wires need to connect to this point (which will form the Star-Ground), then all you need to do is use the same number of solder-tag eyelets to enable each ground wire to connect to the Star-Grounding point, making sure that the mounting screw is long enough.

Using a Star-Grounding system in a Guitar amp is a good way of eliminating earth-loops that can cause hum-noise.

When I get round to building my Lamington Amp I'll demonstrate with some pics how to create a Star-Grounding system, when I do a build diary.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 17-05-2017 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    As long as there are ground wires going from all the ground points to the Star-Grounding system, it's not going to make any difference if the baking tray is covered with PTFE, although the baking tray itself should be at least grounded at the Star-Ground itself so that it can act as a shield.

What I would do is this, drill a hole in the baking tray at some convenient point, a hole for a power transformer mounting-screw would be a good example, then use some sand paper to sand-away the PTFE coating, then work out exactly how many ground wires need to connect to this point (which will form the Star-Ground), then all you need to do is use the same number of solder-tag eyelets to enable each ground wire to connect to the Star-Grounding point, making sure that the mounting screw is long enough.

Using a Star-Grounding system in a Guitar amp is a good way of eliminating earth-loops that can cause hum-noise.

When I get round to building my Lamington Amp I'll demonstrate with some pics how to create a Star-Grounding system, when I do a build diary.
    That's pretty much exactly the system that's being used except with a single tag The cathodes of the 2 caps are twisted together and soldered up to the tag so form part of the star ground area as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddogm View Post
    That's pretty much exactly the system that's being used except with a single tag The cathodes of the 2 caps are twisted together and soldered up to the tag so form part of the star ground area as well.

That should work fine then, as long as there's a good solid ground connection there shouldn't be any problems.

A good solid ground connection is illustrated in Rod Elliott's article on earthing/grounding: http://sound.whsites.net/earthing.htm

If you've never visited Elliott Sound Products (ESP), you'll find a a treasure trove of information for hi-fi and pro audio DIY enthusiasts.

No snake-oil, just sound, practical information.

Any updates on this one

Yeah, any updates.
    Builds to date
    #1, 3 string box guitar
    #2, GR-1SF, November guitar of the month 2016
    #3, Charvel Surfcaster tribute scratch build. ( Completed )
    #4, Pawn shop Strat ( Completed )
    #5, Current build MM-1Q

I got distracted and haven't been working on it lately. There's a reason my first guitar build is about to hit 2 years without being finished :P

So having decided to do some more work on this and worked out where I was up to.
    I soldered one more wire on then discovered that a resistor required for the next step was missing (got sent a couple of extra 100k's instead of the 2 4k7's)

It's the kind of situation that rs-online is awesome for. They will happily send a pack of 10 resistors for $0.65 with free delivery

So I ended up spending more time setting up my work area than actually working on it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast