Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Router bits for binding?

Router bits for binding?

Question for the brains trust: I'm playing around with an idea to put binding on my next build. My issue is with finding a router setup to do the channel. Stewmac has a bit with a bearing to make a .060 channel but it'll be a fair bit to buy. I've got the right kind of bit, it's just finding the bearing to suit that bit that is challenging me. I wondered how anyone else who has done their own binding has approached it?
    Completed Builds: #1 TL-1 "Telemaster" (GOTM Oct 2016); #2 The "Maplecaster" scratch build; #3 JB-4 "Bass IV" (co-winner GOTM Jan 2017); #4 ST-1M "Surfcaster" (GOTM Apr 2017), #5 JZA-1 "EC Deluxe"

In Progress:
    Build #6 N1R "Semi-scratch" build
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project
    The Magnificent Compaņeros

Overlord of Music
    I did it exactly like you plan; flush cutter with a smaller bearing. I tend to hoard (mostly) useful bits and pieces of tools etc, so just happened to have the perfect sized bearing floating around in a box of bits. Check out a local bearing supplier, they might be able to sell you a single of the correct size.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Cheers Pabs, I did rustle through my tools and found a slightly smaller bearing but it makes a channel just on 2mm deep which is too deep - I think I need a 1.5mm channel for the .060" binding I want from Stewmac. Bummer. I'll hunt down a bearing supplier as you suggest.
    Completed Builds: #1 TL-1 "Telemaster" (GOTM Oct 2016); #2 The "Maplecaster" scratch build; #3 JB-4 "Bass IV" (co-winner GOTM Jan 2017); #4 ST-1M "Surfcaster" (GOTM Apr 2017), #5 JZA-1 "EC Deluxe"

In Progress:
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project

Overlord of Music
    Bugger. I was using a 13mm diameter bit and a 10mm bearing, so that worked out to a 1.5mm cut.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

I did exactly the same as Pablo on my scratch build yesterday, I only have a cheap router bit set that you could buy just about anywhere. Some bits have a larger bearing foor instance the 12mm flush trim bit, while others such as the small round over bit will have a small bearing. All I did was swap them over until I got the right sort of clearance and Bobs your Mums brother.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170501_144436-1024x576[2].jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	19099 I am fairly sure Pablos was the same sort of setup.

Quote Originally Posted by D.K View Post
    I did exactly the same as Pablo on my scratch build yesterday, I only have a cheap router bit set that you could buy just about anywhere. Some bits have a larger bearing foor instance the 12mm flush trim bit, while others such as the small round over bit will have a small bearing. All I did was swap them over until I got the right sort of clearance and Bobs your Mums brother. I am fairly sure Pablos was the same sort of setup.
    I reckon I might have the same bit set you do DK! I put the roundover bearing on the flush cut bit and that's what I thought created the 2mm channel - but my measuring may not be that accurate. I had a look at your build - can I ask what the size of that black binding you used is? It may be that I might be okay with what I've got, as long as I can get white binding in the same thickness you've used...

In Progress:
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project

Hey Chuck, my bits are on old prager set that I have had for about 15 years or so. the binding I used was some cheap Chinese stuff from Ebay, I believe the measurements were 1.5 x 6 mm, I have also ordered white but it hasn't turned up yet, that will be used for a nicer body similar to my first failure. the combination I used worked out fairly well leaving enough there to scrape afterwards but not too much. let me know if you need the actual dimensions an I will put the verniers on it for you.

Cheers DK - don't worry about measuring as I think I'll be best to just order the binding and see how it goes. The McGyver in me wonders if I could put a carefully cut strip of electrical tape on the outside of the bearing to make it a fraction wider and therefore reduce the channel depth. Reckon I've got a fair bit of trail and error work to get through on some timber scraps!!

In Progress:
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project

Mate it is not as hard as it first seems, yesterday was my first go at it , if I can do it I am sure you will work it out. Are you using acetone to attach your binding?

I haven't even got that far to think about glues etc. I'm still in mad professor mode working out what I think I want to do!!

In Progress:
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast