Thread: What are your roots

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What are your roots

No not that you silly sausage, the musical ones.

We seem to have quite a strong leaning towards heavier blues and metal on the forum and I was wondering what music informed us and made us who we are today.

In my case.

Still in high school Cliff & The Shadows were a big thing so my first foray into guitar was learning tunes such as Apache and other stuff from the 1962-63 period.

I studied music as a certificate subject studying classical composition at high school and began playing guitar in 63 and moved to bass in 64.

The English invasion happened here in Oz in 64 so it became all Beatles & Stones ( The Beatles in 64 was my first ever concert )

All the pop stuff came and went, Seekers, Hermans Hermits, The Troggs, Easybeats etc

Then there was Cream, Hendrix & the whole West Coast hippie stuff.

Prog rock followed around 1970 - 71 and the band was quite frankly unbelievably good but let down by a certain bass player

Somewhere along the way we fitted Sabbath, Deep Purple & Wishbone Ash in there as well. https://soundcloud.com/suthol/03-so-far-from-home

Then in 1973 - 74 I met a singer songwriter who I am playing with again today and moved into country music of all sorts from boots & saddles to the Eagles and went from working on Saturday nights at local halls to playing every night of the week for 10 years in the licensed clubs around Sydney and surrounds for what was then serious money.

Today I am informed by everything that I have played in the past and will happily listen to Johnny Cash or King Crimson or Rory Gallagher ( my guitar hero ), not much of a fan of modern country but there are some very good players there.

I don't get rap at all ( although some of M&Ms music is very clever and well structured ), and the various sub genres of metal particularly the drop tuned stuff out of the nordic countries turns me off completely.

So there is my soul laid bare, where do you come from
    Last edited by dave.king1; 19-07-2020 at 02:36 PM.

2. Liked by: wazkelly