Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: What are your roots

Music is the journey of a lifetime

I got my first cassette player at age 7 or 8 my mum brought it back from honkers I think. That and a couple of cassettes. There was one that called heavy songs from heavy groups lol. It had Smoke on the Water and Inna Gadda Da Vida on it to name a couple. She must have just grabbed a handful of random cassettes off some street vendor cos there was that and Yellow Brick Road double cassette by Elton John it's hard to remember all of them.

I can also remember making mix tapes off Double J on this Radio Cassette thing she bought about the same time... The Family Radio Cassette that lived in our kitchen. I used to get in trouble for changing the station from 2GB or whatever my dad used to listen to the races. "What's this shite" he would say as he spun the tuner back to his favorite station. He was always a Sinatra kind of guy.

I had an uncle, my mum's baby bro, who was about 10 or 12 years older than me and a DJ in the disco era. He thought he was cool as fuck and so did I really. I would eaves drop on him and his mates talking about the girls they pulled at the disco and stuff like that. I used to sleep in his old room when I stayed at my granny's place it had a life size painting of Jimi Hendrix painted on the back of the door as an leftover of his teenage years I guess. By the time he made me a few tapes from his collection it was all soul music and disco. Rose Royce and Barry White and Maybe a bit of Earth Wind and Fire pretty much all black artists.

We finally got our first 3 in one stereo sometime in the late 70s I guess and that's when I started buying records. The first one I bought with my own money was Remain in Light by Talking Heads. I don't think I even knew who they were but that was some album. Soon after that I think I bought Peter Tosh Legalise it. I had gotten into reggae about then I guess... I had a bootleg tape of Marley's Babylon by Bus and Sheik Yerbouti by Frank Zappa.

Such eclectic shit I don't know where it all came from, I guess I was kind of a hoarder of musical styles. In the 80s I bypassed a lot of the popular stuff focusing on my own mix tapes off the radio again. A mate of mine had a copy of Machine Head by deep purple and I scored a cassette of that from him. Lazy got a fair beating on my Walkman.

I did have a copy of Regatta De Blanc by the Police. It was the Ragga thing I think... That vibe also lead me onto the Clash I didn't really get the Punk thing but the Clash was a slice above the rest I thought.

Somewhere in the Mid to late 80s I had a band with my mates we practiced in my mum's empty hair salon at weekends drinking beers and smoking weed and playing a strange mix of covers from punk to shoe gaze to who knows what. One of my favorites was an instrumental version of Rock n Roll by the glitter band... (before Garry Glitter was outed as a pedo) Our Drummer "Roars" would go hard on the toms with his mallets and it had this searing chainsaw guitar part that I loved to play and a lot of chanting and shouting. We could stretch that out for 10 minutes. We also did stuff by the UK subs a shit version of Stray Cat Strut by the Stray Cats.

We used to go see a lot of bands at the time at the Kardoma Kafe up the Cross and the Trade Union Club in Surry Hills I can remember some post punk Aussie greats like Feed Time, Psychotic Turnbuckles, Lime Spiders, Celibate Rifles, The Scientists, Blue Ruin and Ed Kueper. Into the mix there were also a few international acts we saw James Brown and The Cult at the same venue but different nights both were incredible.

The band broke up and the late 80s is a blur of pills and Italo Dance music but then came grunge....so much like those garage sounds from Sydney and Melbourne and the opportunity to dig out my collection of flannos again. Good times in the Sydney inner west music scene as a budding designer photographer.

The death of Jeff Buckley and Kurt Cobain, marriage and a move to the northern hemisphere, saw me exploring something sonically different. Nothing like the frozen north to help you appreciate the sparseness of Sigur Ross or Turin Breaks.... There are a lot more musicians in colder climates. IT also helps to focus on indoor pursuits.

Desktop recording opened a whole new world for me Cubase, Logic, Ableton. I have been exploring ever since .... Currently revisiting some stuff that I missed out on first time around .... Ambient guitar, the Genius of Johnny Marr and Vini Reilly .... seeking nuance and understated complexity.

https://soundcloud.com/thesurfnomad/harps-n-chords

https://soundcloud.com/thesurfnomad/permanent-stain

https://soundcloud.com/thesurfnomad/passion-flower

Quote Originally Posted by Steev3d View Post
    Currently revisiting some stuff that I missed out on first time around .... Ambient guitar, the Genius of Johnny Marr and Vini Reilly .... seeking nuance and understated complexity.

https://soundcloud.com/thesurfnomad/harps-n-chords

https://soundcloud.com/thesurfnomad/permanent-stain

https://soundcloud.com/thesurfnomad/passion-flower
    Nice work right there

I've been really getting into playing Blues in a big way ever since I bought my Fender Mexican Telecaster, last Thursday I got the chance to play some live music with some local Darwin musicians at the Nirvana club, we jammed on a couple of Blues tunes, had a great time too.

my musical root's begin when i first got into hard music i heard the song. Somebody to love by queen. And specifically the solo. i had never seen play with such feel before an that solo inspired me to play guitar then i heard motorhead for the first time. and then metallica and then system of a down and acdc . but the man that changed my guitar playing life and to this day the man on my profile pic yngwie malmsteen up until this point i was more of a bluesy feel player but when i heard far beyond the sun i was a changed man and then i got into 80s hair metal like dokken. montley crue and judas priest. so thats my musical root's
    Last edited by kellymaster; 19-06-2019 at 06:45 AM.

5. Liked by: PJSprog

I grew up in a family that loved music, but didn't play it. When I was about 5, the family got a Commodore 64 that came with a little plastic two octave keyboard overlay and some software that taught you how to play some Beatles tracks. That led to a Casio keyboard and eventually an upright piano along with years of lessons.

My dad is a huge Beatles fan and so they're basically the foundation of my musical knowledge. My earliest music memories are of Sgt Peppers and Abbey Road - Octopus' Garden is about as close as I ever got to "kids" music, so I missed out on Peter Coombe, The Wiggles, etc. Along with the Beatles we had a pretty definitive collection of '60s and '70s pop, and plenty of radio play of 1980's pop. It wasn't until mid 1989 that I discovered heavy guitars through songs like Alice Cooper's Poison and Faith No More's Epic and From Out of Nowhere and became musically "self-aware" - where I realised I had my own musical tastes that extended beyond my parent's collection.

My love of heavier guitars began in earnest as I started high school. Metallica's black album, Use Your Illusion, Blood Sugar Sex Magik and then Nevermind, Ten and Rage Against The Machine were all on heavy rotation and my musical world kind of exploded from there.

Eventually I discovered Triple J and Three Hours of Power, and Machine Head's Burn My Eyes was the first genuinely heavy album I bought, and once I had a job I quickly picked up the entire Pantera discography, Chaos AD and Roots, Demanufacture - all the '90s metal albums worth having (and a bunch not worth having). I also kept expanding my collection of anything and everything with heavy guitars - Tool, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, Kyuss, You Am I, Regurgitator, Screaming Jets, etc.

It wasn't until late high school that I first started on guitar. A mate was learning, and taught me how to play a bunch of Nirvana songs - that was when I very quickly realised I needed an instrument I could use to play along to my own musical collection. That Christmas I was lucky enough to get an Aria Pro II SL-STD3 - a fantastically versatile HSS super Strat with no pickguard and a mean, Jackson-ish headstock.

Then as a adult, I've tried to commit myself to constantly challenging my musical tastes, and always expanding. Part of it was probably that my favourite bands either met their demise, or stopped releasing albums with any regularity, but I think it's mostly that euphoria of discovering something new that makes an immediate impression.

That said, even with a diverse listening taste - when it comes to playing music I rarely dial the gain down below 11.

#4 - Zero Budget
    #3 - Semi-Scratch Baritone w. PBG 30" Tele neck
    #2 - EX-1
    #1 - ST-1M

Quote Originally Posted by Steev3d View Post
    We used to go see a lot of bands at the time at the Kardoma Kafe up the Cross and the Trade Union Club in Surry Hills I can remember some post punk Aussie greats like Feed Time, Psychotic Turnbuckles, Lime Spiders, Celibate Rifles, The Scientists, Blue Ruin and Ed Kueper. Into the mix there were also a few international acts we saw James Brown and The Cult at the same venue but different nights
    So we were both hanging in the same bars listening to the same bands!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an old thread but what the heck....

I saw this when I was 13 or 14. https://youtu.be/KsvtJ2npPiA It caused me to bale hay on a farm, work at McDonald’s, & make pizzas until I had enough money to buy a guitar and amp!

(It was a Sears non-branded Les Paul Copy that I eventually upgraded with DiMarzio Super Distortion pickups. It looked pretty close to Ace’s guitar in the video once I was done with it.)

Yeah...now I’m a 56 year old with the maturity of a 16 year old! I can still play every note of that solo, lol. Thanks a lot, Ace!😉

I got kind of bored with guitar and play bass now. Alex Webster, Billy Sheehan, Jack Pastorious, and Rudy Sarzo are my inspiration nowadays.
    Last edited by MusicStudent1; 19-07-2020 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Bad Spelling!

I'm the same! Still love that early Kiss stuff. I have a fascination with LP's because of this. Moved on to hard rock and classic rock (which my parents said would be a passing phase). Well, it still has not passed! Though now I have matured slightly to rocky blues like Gary Moore, KWS, Joe B. Good times.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Yes - my parents did not understand my infatuation KISS music and neither do my kids, lol!

This is OUR music!! I’m ok with it!

Quote Originally Posted by MusicStudent1 View Post
    This is an old thread but what the heck....
    When I started this thread I hoped that it would stay alive for as long as new members came on board and shared their musical foundations

12. Liked by: MusicStudent1

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast