Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your roots

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Bit late to this party.....

Where to start? Music wasn't really a big deal in my house growing up. My mum insisted I learn piano when I was younger which I really disliked. I did learn to read music so that was a silver lining. A few years later when I was about 12 I discovered we had an old acoustic guitar in a cupboard. My school was offering free afternoon lessons so I asked if I could put some strings on it and try to learn. My mum, having been through the angst of trying to get me to practice piano basically said 'whatever' and left me to it. That was probably for the best because without the pressure I found it a lot more enjoyable.

I wasn't very good, in fact, the only reason I can play at all is sheer bloody mindedness. I had a terrible singing voice and almost no ability to recognise pitch. This has improved over the years, but again only because I worked at it.

The music played in my home growing up was largely classical and opera, with a bit of other stuff sprinkled over it. It wasn't until my peers started listening to music that I really paid any attention. My first early loves were Def Leppard, Motley Crue and Faith no More. The latter has stuck with me, as Mike Patton has grown and explored I've followed him some pretty weird places.

The real revelation for me came in year 7 or 8. I was reading 'Issue One' comics and in particular Zero Assasin. One of the quirks of that comic was that it had a soundtrack listed to play while you read it. This particular comic called for 'Wave of Mutilation' by the Pixies. I had seen Pixies graffitti on the goth kids bags and asked one I kind of knew if I could get a copy of that song. He ended up giving me all of Doolittle and it was an absolute revelation to 13 or 14 year old me. This music was so weird and awesome, yet sounded like a garage band mucking around. Especially the lead guitar.. how was he making that noise??? So I went down a huge musical rabbit hole. I've heard it said that any teen who listens to the Pixies forms a band. I was no exception. That particular project is still going nearly 30 years later.

I became a bit of a musical snob for about 10 years and actually missed the real birth of grunge.. it sounded like a rip off of my favourite band but not as good to me. Funnily enough, years later and soon after his death I saw an interview with Kurt Cobain where he said the pixies were one of his biggest influences. Cue me tracking down as much Nirvana as I could find and learning how to appreciate it... and play it.

It took a while, but a have branched out hugely now and there are many bands/artists I follow pretty closely. Beck, Blur, Gorrillaz, Alice Donut, Arctic Monkeys, Regurgitator.. the alternate rock catalogue is pretty big and ever growing as I go back and look at my influences influences - Husker Du, Bowie, Queen, The Beatles etc etc.

The Pixies have stayed my main squeeze. They actually broke up the year I discovered them.. but when I heard they reformed in 2007 hell nor high water would stop me seeing them. That they are able to recreate their sound live almost flawlessly blows me away every time.. and I've probably seen them 6 or 7 times now.

So that's the extremely condensed version of my musical genisis......
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by OliSam View Post
    Agreed.....Greetings from LA was a real turning point for me.
    Got my licence @ 17 and me first car was a Hillman Hunter.
    Only one cassette on rotation for about a year ...'Greetings From L.A.'

cheers, Mark.

The Pixies Doolittle album was my first ever CD, Sonic. I was 15 years old. Pixies (and U2) were the reason I wanted to pick up the guitar in the first place.
    Last edited by DarkMark; 06-06-2019 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    The Pixies Doolittle album was my first ever CD, Sonic. I was 15 years old. Pixies (and U2) were the reason I picked up the guitar in the first place.
    U2 are coming to Perth this year with the Chief himself Noel Gallagher supporting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by I値l give it a go View Post
    U2 are coming to Perth this year with the Chief himself Noel Gallagher supporting.

I believe they are doing the Joshua Tree anniversary tour. I would be interested but I don稚 think I値l be in the country when they come to Perth. I have a wedding to go to in Thailand in November.

I believe they are doing the Joshua Tree anniversary tour. I would be interested but I don稚 think I値l be in the country when they come to Perth. I have a wedding to go to in Thailand in November.
    No way that痴 a shame, yes your right it is the Joshua tree tour. Work got to busy today and I missed out on the live nation allocations. Another sale coming soon I think.

Getting a bit off the thread here, but I saw the U2/BBKing Rattle and Hum tour in 1992 at the Entertainment Centre second row right in front. Not bad for my first ever gig. They pulled someone out of the crowd to join in on guitar during All Along The Watchtower. They were having trouble finding a volunteer. I was 17yo at the time and I hadn稚 started playing guitar yet. To think, if it had been a couple of years later I知 sure it would of been me up in front of a packed Entertainment Centre.

I'll toss mine in here as well.

I grew up in a house always filled with music. My Mother played piano quite well, and my parents never missed any of the music variety shows on TV. My older sister was big into disco and '70s pop, but early on I discovered the local rock station playing stuff like Hendrix and Sabbath. I became a big fan of bands like Yes and Rush. In the '80s, I started listening to bands like Loudness, Malmsteen, Talas, Vinnie Moore, and all those ridiculously talented players. I also became a fan of classical and baroque music.

In my early adult years, I started listening to more and more baroque/classical music, until at one point it was all I listened to. Then, I stumbled across the new Dream Theater "Scenes ..." album in '99, and reacquainted myself with my old love for progressive rock. I'd always remained a Rush fan, but these guys took that to the next level for me.

Over the years, I've also become fond of some jazz. In addition to the cool modern instrumental stuff, I'm a huge Frank Sinatra fan.

I started playing music at home on our piano, teaching myself from watching my Mother. I wanted to be a drummer, but my grade school music teacher told me they had plenty of drummers, but needed trombones and cornets. I chose cornet, and played through the rest of grade school and junior high school. I quit when I got to high school because the band leader there was a notorious a-hole. My best friend (who'd also quit band for the same reason) started playing guitar in '81, and talked me into buying a bass guitar in '82. Over the years, I've taught myself to play 14 instruments (well, 13, as the grade school teacher taught me cornet).

So, that's me. A music dork my whole life (52 now).
    What Did You Play Today? ~PJS~

Build #1) KH-1 - November 2019 GOTM

They pulled someone out of the crowd to join in on guitar
    You missed an opportunity to get close-to-the-edge?

boom-boom.

cheers, Mark.

10. Liked by: wazkelly

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    The Pixies Doolittle album was my first ever CD, Sonic. I was 15 years old. Pixies (and U2) were the reason I wanted to pick up the guitar in the first place.
    Yep, pretty influential album Doolittle. It sounds lot more simplistic than it is. Their 5 chords over 4 bars or 3 chords over 4 bars so each chord falls on a different part of the drum beat each progression gets really confusing. I've written a few songs like that and tried to to do some of those Pixies songs in various bands.. almost always breaks the drummers mind.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast