Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bridge pins

Bridge pins

Hi all. Was reading a thread in a different forum where they were talking about putting bridge pins back in the exact same hole they came out of, when changing strings.
    My question is, to all the luthiers out there. Is there a legitimate reason for placing the pins back in the same hole.
    They said that some luthiers build guitars so that the pins have to go in the original holes. If so I can understand that. Just don't know of any other reason for it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Have I asked a question so stupid that no one wants to answer or have I asked a question you don't know the answer to.

Hi Rick, sorry I didn't see your first post at 3:17am Perth time. Can you please tell us more is this an acoustic guitar with bridge pins ? Maybe a photo of your guitar bridge would help too. My guess is it's recommended to use the same bridge pins as each string gauge is different the same pin should fit best and secure the string better.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

I read a thread that was talking about it on acoustic guitars in general. I had not heard that before and wanted to know if it was true. I have never really paid any attention to where I placed the pins. All the pins I have seen had what appeared to be the same size grooves. I guess I am wondering if grooves sized to the strings would affect tone and maybe that's what they mean. I appreciate your answer.

Hi Rick, I appreciate your question it is a relevant one. I don't know enough about acoustic guitars and bridges so I'd wait for one of the guys who plays acoustics to reply or send a PM to Zandit75 has been playing acoustic guitars for a long time
    Last edited by wokkaboy; 13-04-2017 at 10:10 AM.

Completed builds

Thanks

Hey Rickit, very interesting question.
    I've heard that said before, and on some very high end custom builds, I've seen it mentioned about keeping the pins in the same holes.
    Having said that, I recently replaced the pins in my Maton guitar, and there were no markings saying they belonged to a certain sized gauge string etc. The music shop I bought them from pulled 6 pins out of a container full of loose ones.
    What guitar is this for anyway?
    One thing to keep in mind about this place, while there are plenty of guys here building guitars from kits or even from scratch, they are primarily electric guitars being built. There's only a few of us who play acoustic guitars full time. That might explain why it was a while before someone answered the question!
    Acoustics:
    1995 Maton EM725C - Solid 'A' Spruce Top, QLD Walnut B&S, AP5 Pickup
    2015 Ibanez AEL108MD-NT - Laminated Spruce top, Laminated Mahogany B&S, Fishman Sonicore Pickup

Electrics:
    Pitbull LP-1S - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5745
    Carsen Superstrat Rebuild - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6284

Builds in Progress:
    Silent Guitar Semi-Scratch Build - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6809

K. Meant no insult to anyone. I did not know this was primarily electric. Thank you.

Haha, don't worry about that bud, it's pretty laid back here. Hell, they've let me stick around, and I'm Tasmanian!!!!

Stick around, they might convert you too!!
    Acoustics:
    1995 Maton EM725C - Solid 'A' Spruce Top, QLD Walnut B&S, AP5 Pickup
    2015 Ibanez AEL108MD-NT - Laminated Spruce top, Laminated Mahogany B&S, Fishman Sonicore Pickup

Electrics:
    Pitbull LP-1S - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5745
    Carsen Superstrat Rebuild - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6284

Builds in Progress:
    Silent Guitar Semi-Scratch Build - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6809

Hey Rick, as Zandit said all good, the only stupid question is the ones you don't ask. Maybe try asking an acoustic guitar luthier or an acoustic guitar forum.

Completed builds

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast