Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Re-visiting my old Peavey Backstage Plus guitar amp.

Re-visiting my old Peavey Backstage Plus guitar amp.

Thought that I would start a thread about re-visiting my old Peavey Backstage plus guitar amp, since I'm doing some work on it at the moment, I need to re-connect the speaker ( a Jensen C10Q 8 Ohm 35Watt Speaker I bought for it a couple of years ago) up to the amp chassis, re-attach four metal corner-protectors, and put some knobs on the pots.

As far as I know the amp is in working condition, I'll post some pics in this thread for you guys soon.

I also need to make a new footswitch for it too, yet another fun-filled project.

Update:

A quick test-out confirms that the amp is indeed still working.

And here's a pic of the amp set up on my kitchen bench, powered up(check out the blue power led):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Backstage Plus_resized.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	18545

This amp features footswitchable distortion and reverb, as well as a built-in FX loop.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 18-07-2022 at 07:18 PM.

I was round my friend's house this afternoon and he was commenting how Behringer seemed to have bought a job lot of the brightest blue LEDs they could find and put them on all their kit. He was trying to set up a little Behringer mixer so we could both play through one amp, but the blue power-on LED was so bright he couldn't read any of the legends for the controls round it. They might be fine for some applications but in others they are a right PITA.

Glad it works Doc.
    I've been looking at amp switching pedals (to choose between 2 amps or run both), and they seem pretty expensive. Surely a home made one wouldn't break the bank - got any diagrams for one?

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    Glad it works Doc.
    I've been looking at amp switching pedals (to choose between 2 amps or run both), and they seem pretty expensive. Surely a home made one wouldn't break the bank - got any diagrams for one?

Yep, I think I posted a very simple circuit for an A/B Box in the non PBG gear section, although it will only allow you to switch between either one of your amps, I think it's in the DIY pedals thread if my memory serves me right.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    Yep, I think I posted a very simple circuit for an A/B Box in the non PBG gear section, although it will only allow you to switch between either one of your amps, I think it's in the DIY pedals thread if my memory serves me right.

Ah yes, sounds familiar, I'll have a look

Ah yes, sounds familiar, I'll have a look

Here's a link to the thread:

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5291

The thing you need to be careful about with simple A/B switchers are earth loops (substitute 'ground' for 'earth' if you want here). The expensive switchers ones have transformer isolation for one or both of the output connections, so that there is no duplicate earth path. There is a reason they cost more. If you use a basic A/B box, then you need to make sure that both amps are powered from the same multi-way mains board, plus any pedal PSUs, to minimise the length of the multiple earth paths. It also helps if your pedals are all powered from isolated power supplies. Earth/ground loops can cause an awful lot of extra noise, especially if you've got any digital pedals in your set-up.

Any decent basic A/B pedal should also connect the unused amp output connection to ground (when selecting only one amp), to prevent an open circuit connection cable on the unused amp picking up lots of hum.

There's no guarantee that you will get any hum with a basic set-up, I've used the outputs from a stereo effects pedal into two amps without any issues - but then they were all connected to the same power socket. But in an electrically noisy environment, things might be different. So to guarantee good noise-free amp switching, paying a bit of money for a good A/B box with isolated outputs is a reasonable investment, but for non-critical applications, a basic one can suffice. Remember that your guitar sound is only as good as the weakest link in the chain.

Thanks Simon, I've tried using a cheap Loopi-Pedals one and have got a load of noise. I'll try again running everything from the same wall socket
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Been trying out my recently fixed TS-808 pedal with my Peavey Backstage Plus amp, and found that it seems to work pretty well with the amp's overdrive, on it's own the amp's overdrive is a bit transistory, but I found that if I set the overdrive on the amp so that I get just a hint of breakup, and then use the TS-808 as a booster pedal, I get more of a Tube-ish kind of sound, if I then engage the switches on the Pre gain control and the Treble control, it seems to fatten up a bit in a nice way, and then adding a bit of reverb enhances it a bit more, pretty interesting considering that the amp is a Solid State amp.

I guess the art in getting a good sound from any guitar amp is really all about getting to know the amp and using your ears to tell when it sounds good.

In the words of Joe Meek (famous English producer of the 50's)..."If it sounds good,it is good".
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 05-04-2017 at 06:31 PM.

Glad it works Doc.

Today, I got inspired to do some restoration-work on my Peavey Backstage Plus amp after seeing it sitting un-loved in a corner in my little studio room, so this week and next week, I'm going to be working on restoring it to a giggable state, not much needs to be done to it though, and I'm going to be making a new footswitch for it that will include indicator leds, something that the original one I made didn't have, once I have the design worked-out I'll post a hand-drawn schematic here for other Backstage Plus owners, together with a write-up.

I'm also going to look at what I can do to tame the blue indicator led brightness down a bit, since I really want to keep the blue led for it's coolness, I have a good idea of what needs to be done, I just need to change the value of one resistor and that should fix it.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 18-07-2022 at 06:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast