Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Powered spray guns - worth it?

Sorry to re-hash a old post guys. Did you go with the Ozito gun wokkaboy? Thinking about doing the same. Can't really justify spending $200 on a compressor and gun.

Don't know about the Ozito gun, but I have used a Wagner in the past. I realy hope they have improved, because they were pretty crap. You may be able to spray stain, but top coating was never going to happen.

Don't know about the Ozito gun, but I have used a Wagner in the past. I realy hope they have improved, because they were pretty crap.
    My experience also. I bought a Wagner years ago, and it was horrible. And I was only painting a wooden fence! Can't imagine trying to do a guitar with one.

Can't really justify spending $200 on a compressor and gun.
    Not sure what kind of quality you'd get for 200 bucks anyway. My gear isn't top of the range, but I spent more than double that.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Don't know about the Ozito gun, but I have used a Wagner in the past. I realy hope they have improved, because they were pretty crap. You may be able to spray stain, but top coating was never going to happen.
    Bought the Ozito one just then. Back to the spray cans..

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    My experience also. I bought a Wagner years ago, and it was horrible. And I was only painting a wooden fence! Can't imagine trying to do a guitar with one.
    Replace "paint" with "creosote" hehe.. Talk about overspray! We did try it with paint on the decking...yeh, not good!

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Not sure what kind of quality you'd get for 200 bucks anyway. My gear isn't top of the range, but I spent more than double that.
    You can get a reasonable compressor suitable for small stuff like guitars for $200....just not good for much else
    . Whilst come come as a package with a crappy gun, you can figure in another $100+ for a decent minigun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodc View Post
    Bought the Ozito one just then. Back to the spray cans..
    You tried using it? Paint viscosity is pretty finicky with them in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Replace "paint" with "creosote" hehe.. Talk about overspray! We did try it with paint on the decking...yeh, not good!

You can get a reasonable compressor suitable for small stuff like guitars for $200....just not good for much else
    . Whilst come come as a package with a crappy gun, you can figure in another $100+ for a decent minigun.

You tried using it? Paint viscosity is pretty finicky with them in the past.
    Yes Rabbit, I was a bit to hasty though. After I thought I had it wound right down, I screwed the adjusting knob out a lot further. I tried clear coating an old garden bench after I wiped the mess off the guitar, thought I may as well use the the clear I bought. Couldn't get the Cabot clear exterior so got Feast Watson. Tried it on the guitar again, about 20% turps and it went on ok. Bit of orange peel. I will sand it back tad tomorrow and try again. Bit of a surprise really how well it went..

With enough coats you should have no problems sanding level and then buffing and polishing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2