• 100BMP

8 40.00%
  • 120 BPM

4 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: We need to do this: Collective Blues Project

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    Let me know what PBG can do to help this along, sounds like a lot of fun.
    Well we would need your help with the solos there Adam

MP3? Why not a .wav file? I know MP3s are smaller and convenient for web streaming but you want to keep everything uncompressed until the final product. And Soundcloud recompress anything posted to a 128bps mp3, which is basically rubbish, but easy on their bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    so what do we need to add a track of our own, some software to record in .wav format ?
    I should be able to dust off the cubase program

You could even try using Audacity to record your part, Audacity is an open source (and free) sound recording app.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Guy View Post
    My plan is to upload an mp3 track most likely through a soundcloud link and hopefully you can take it from there. 😊😊

A multitrack version, with each instrument with it's own track would be cool, but I reckon I could quite easily work with a single audio file if I just import it into FL Studio.

Seeing as I've got my LP Studio guitar here with me at home, I could get my part recorded this weekend.

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    MP3? Why not a .wav file? I know MP3s are smaller and convenient for web streaming but you want to keep everything uncompressed until the final product. And Soundcloud recompress anything posted to a 128bps mp3, which is basically rubbish, but easy on their bandwidth.
    Ok- are there any other better ways to do it? I ask as I'm basically a luddite. 😀
    "Music is in the air; it's my job to pull it out."- Jaco Pastorius

One question, when we go to record our parts, do we need to record it dry (ie: un-effected), or will it be okay to record it effected?, I was thinking of recording my part with my LP Studio guitar going into my TS-808 pedal, into FL Studio and then use a couple of plugins, like an amp simulator and NadIR (speaker cab emulator) to get a good tone, I'm sort of in two minds about it, cause I'm not sure how the various guitar parts are going to be mixed-down to a stereo track.

Mentor
    It should be ok to record effected- I will be. But have a listen and play to the track when it lands and judge from there.
    Last edited by Bass Guy; 29-03-2017 at 09:09 PM.
    "Music is in the air; it's my job to pull it out."- Jaco Pastorius

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Guy View Post
    It should be ok to record effected- I will be. But have a listen and play to the track when it lands and judge from there.

No worries then, I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, can't wait to hear the backing track.

I know a .wav file is larger and it might take a few minutes do download or upload for those with slower internet connections, but there will be a better end result if we can keep it in .wav format until the final mix.

Do you have a dropbox account Bass Guy, or something similar; cloud storage where you can upload it and publish a link to it so that it can be downloaded? That would be the easiest way. People could do the same thing with their finished guitar/bass track for you to download and mix.

I think that your tracks should be pretty much as you want them to sound. Bass Guy can add a bit of global reverb to tie it all together, or you could leave it off an add a note to say that you want a lot/little room/plate reverb added etc. But anything else should really be on the track.

Don't forget that you only need to send the guitar/bass track. It should be on its own and not a complete mixdown that includes the backing track. Just include from the start of your part and leave maybe one or two bars extra at the end for any effects or reverb trails you've printed to end.

10. Liked by: Bass Guy

ok kids lots going on - great.

We need a way to decide who does what and for how long...
    I propose this, unless someone has a better idea, or wants to take over:

BG uploads his awesome work to the most appropriate platform...

We head on over , get a feel for it and play with it at home.

I take a list of names for those who are in.
    If you have a preferred section let me know.

I'll divide the tune into phrases and allocate everyone a time frame - e.g. Stan gets from 01.27 - 02.15 or something like that.
    Practice your bit and submit to the compiler - seems like sending it back to BassGuy makes the most sense... open to suggestion...

The compiler(s) do their thing and upload the final product and we all say yay at fun well had...

This is the bit where I need help:
    Being a recording Luddite myself - how do we save our parts?
    Do we simply submit our own part, or include the backing (I'm guessing the first...)?

Anything I've forgotten or over looked?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast