Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Fender Super Twin.

Been playing my recently acquired Mexican Tele through my Super Twin amp and found that if I added either my TS-808 Tube Screamer, or my TS-9 Tube Screamer to the mix, I've got a serious tone machine on my hands, especially with the Mexican Tele's neck pickup, I think I've discovered the perfect rig for playing Blues, Fender Super Twin, TS-808, or TS-9, and a good Fender Tele, I'll have to record a demo for you guys this weekend if it's not too noisy outside, I'd do it today but there's some guy doing some lawn mowing outside.

It's funny how Fender guitars and amps seem to just work together well, well of course, both are made by the same company, did you know that Leo Fender (his full name is Clarence Leonidas Fender) wasn't actually a musician himself, he was a radio repairman, but he got all the original designs right first time.

Here ya go Doc, a Super Twin in action

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post

Cheers mate, never heard of them before but cool song, I wonder if that Super Twin the guitarist is playing through is the same model as the one I have, cause there's two different models of the Super Twin that Fender made, although the front panel looks the same, there's the one that has a tube driven spring reverb circuit, and the one that doesn't have it, mine is the one without the reverb circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post

That's quite a nuanced precision performance from the keyboard player

5. Liked by: dave.king1

Update:

Going to be modding the footswitch for my Fender Super Twin amp today, so that it has three indicator Leds on it, this way I can tell at a glance when the EQ, Volume Boost, and Distortion circuits are activated or not.

Sounds cool. I love indicator lights on everything. Pedal boards should look like a starship console IMO.

Also, for some reason I thought this forum was just for the Pitbull amp kits (whatever happened to that idea?), but looking back I see this is where people put their own amp builds and projects too. Makes sense. I should have put my Noisy Cricket project here instead of the DIY pedals forum (although I feel a bit embarrassed putting my dinky little amp alongside things like Andy's 5e3 build).
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

The PBG 5W champ-style amp came and went some time ago now, so this seems to be the place for amp builds or mods.

I'm happy to report that the indicator leds mod I did to my Super Twin amp's footswitch pedal, appears to be working as it's supposed to, now, instead of having to guess whether the EQ, Volume Boost, and Distortion are on or not, all I have to do is look at the leds on the footswitch and they tell me all I need to know.

I may need to change a resistor out to tame the brightness of the blue indicator led I used for the Volume Boost function though, that'll be a job for tomorrow, but for the time being, I'm happy with it.

I used a spare +4.8V DC/700mA plugpack adaptor as a power supply for the leds, and used the spare poles of the three 3PDT footswitches to switch the leds on when the EQ, Volume Boost, and Distortion are switched-on, the distortion isn't all that usable though.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 06-06-2020 at 06:54 PM.

All the blue LEDs I have are powerfully bright. I swapped the CLR twice in the buffer before it stopped blinding me.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

I did a quick calculation to determine what value resistor I needed to use to limit the current flowing in each led, standard 3 or 5 mm leds can safely run with a maximum of about 20mA flowing through them, any higher than that and you risk destroying the led, and they can actually explode if there's too much current flowing through them, so I deliberately chose to limit the current to about 10mA for each led, the value of the current limiting resistors worked-out to be 330 Ohms, I used three 330 Ohm 1W Metal Film resistors, and they seem to do the job fine, but I'm definitely going to swap the blue led's 330 Ohm current limiting resistor for a higher-value one to tame the brightness, but that's a job for tomorrow.

When a led explodes, it gives-off a very pungent smell, how do I know?, I've had first-hand experience with it.

As a side-note, my pedal board is all up and running again, ready for gigging or recording.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 06-06-2020 at 07:22 PM.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast