Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Fender Super Twin.

I reckon the TS-9 will make it sing. Sounds very nice clean.
    # 1 - EX-5 https://goo.gl/fQJMqh
    # 2 - EX-1 https://goo.gl/KSY9W9
    # 3 - Non PBG Tele https://goo.gl/W14G5g
    # 4 - Non PBG J Bass https://goo.gl/FbBaFy
    # 5 - TL-1AR GOTM Aug 2017 https://goo.gl/sUh14s
    # 6 - MMB-4 Runner-up GOTM Oct 2018https://goo.gl/gvrPkp
    # 7 - ES-1 Runner-up GOTM Aug 2018https://goo.gl/T9BEY8

Sounds good to my ignorant ears.

Update:

Just posted a link to a second demo just under the one for that first clean demo.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    You can certainly tell your Strat has a RW/RP middle pickup. Sounds good.

Yep, since positions 2 and 4 on the pickup switch are hum-free, I'm in the process of buying a full set of Fender Hot Noiseless pickups on eBay, once they're installed the hum in the other three positions will be gone, as much as I like the stock fat 50's pickups, they're a bit too noisy for me, they are a bit weak in output for my tastes too.

Update:

So, I bet you guys are interested in hearing about what I've been up to this week, well, I've been in the process of making a complete new footswitch for my Super Twin amp, yes, it does feature footswitching, the built-in 5-band EQ, Distortion, and Volume-boost are all foot-switchable, I went to my local Jaycar Electronics shop on Tuesday and bought all the bits and pieces needed to make the new footswitch, here's a couple of pics of it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Super Twin Footswitch_resized.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	27920

Name:	Super Twin Footswitch_insides_resized.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	213.5 KB 
ID:	27921

The new footswitch seems to be working perfectly, with the new footswitch unplugged from the amp, the 5-band EQ, Volume Boost, and Distortion is always on, although you can switch the Distortion on or off with the Distortion control knob, now, when you plug the new footswitch into the sockets on the back panel of the amp, the 5-band EQ-, Volume-boost, and Distortion can all be switched on or off remotely just by stomping on the footswitches, this means you can pre-set the 5-band EQ and Distortion controls to get the sounds you want, and still be able to get the basic clean sound of the amp, the Distortion itself is nothing to write home about though, you can always just use a distortion pedal since the amp does take pedals well.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Happy B'day Doc.

Looks like a neat setup.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Happy B'day Doc.

Looks like a neat setup.

Hey cheers mate, yeah I think I've got it all working the best it can, it's good to go with regards to recording or gigging, I can't wait to do my first gig with the amp to break it in.

Update:

Some new bits and pieces for my Super Twin amp arrived in the post this afternoon, in the parcel were two new Fender style amp knobs, two new Blue lamp bezels, and a complete new lamp holder which I'm going to use as a spare in case the Super Twin amp's stock one breaks, the two new blue bezels fit the new lamp holder perfectly, I don't know if they'll fit the stock one though, I'll have to wait till tomorrow, I've got one of the new knobs installed and it looks great, it's a bit shinier than the stock ones, but I'm not too worried about that.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 05-09-2018 at 09:07 PM.

Right at the other end of the Fender power scale...

Name:	VC small.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	870.2 KB 
ID:	27966

I've borrowed a friends '81 Fender Vibro Champ. 5W with a 4-Ohm 8" Eminence speaker. One 6V6 power tube, one 12AX7 for the preamp, one 12AX7 tube for the tremolo circuit and a 5Y3GT for the rectifier. The tremolo circuit uses power tube grid bias adjustment to change the volume. The circuitry (AA764) hadn't changed since the Blackface model Vibro Champ was introduced in 1964, though the fitted speaker has changed over the years.

As you might have guessed, with 5W and an 8" speaker, it's not very loud and it hasn't got much clean headroom. With a Strat, it starts to break up with the volume at 4. With a Les Paul (humbuckers and P90s), that point comes at 3. Above 5, it doesn't get louder, just dirtier.

The tone controls aren't that effective. Bass works from 1 to 5, above which nothing else happens. It may well do more, but the fitted speaker can't produce the bass frequencies necessary to hear the effect. Treble works from 5 to 7; below 5, nothing is added and above 7 almost no change can be heard.

The tremolo is quite a nice effect, but it's really wasted IMO as there isn't enough clean volume to make it worthwhile. It hasn't got quite the depth of effect that some tremolo circuits have. It also doesn't sound that good with a driven sound. What would have been more worthwhile would have been a reverb; there's enough space in the cabinet for a short-spring unit. My cheap Tone City Temble pedal does a very good imitation of this amp's tremolo, though the intensity control on the pedal can produce a full 'silence in the gaps' tremolo.

It's main use is really an easily driven small recording combo where it's ideal for crunchy sounds that still retain some clarity. Think raunchy Stones numbers. It sounds dirty, but it hasn't got bags of sustain - it's not going to give you anything like a long creamy lead sound without external help from pedals. It's better with humbuckers or P90s for this as Fender single coils can sound rather thin and scratchy with the drive sounds, as the lack of any real bass makes the single coil sounds rather scratchy. Even humbuckers don't sound overly bassy, but in a mix, that light low end will stop the guitar sound from fighting with the bass guitar.

For a small Fender combo that's got some decent clean headroom and that works well with Fenders, you really need the next step up on the Fender amp hierarchy and move to the 12W Princeton Reverb. This has a 10" speaker, reverb and tremolo.

Am I tempted to make my mate an offer for it? Yes and no. He's now got some Adam A7X monitors from me that he's trying out. If he wants to keep them, then I'll offer to swap those for the amp (he's got a small Blackstar that he finds more useful). But I don't think I'd offer him cash for it.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast