Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Strat Baritone Conversion Neck??

Strat Baritone Conversion Neck??

Hey guys, I'm looking to play some more heavier music and I feel a standard Strat scale length is too loose when tuning down with heavy strings, does anyone know of any decent bari conversion necks for a Strat (I don't mind if its 27, 28 or 29" scale). I know of the Warmoth necks but I feel I can find something a bit cheaper and closer to home. If there's a neck with a reverse headstock, that's even better!

Cheers guys!

By 'heavier' what kind of music are you meaning...as in what compared to what...? Just out of interest and maybe I can help, I am halfway through rebuilding my Jackson Dinky that was my first 'decent' guitar - sentimental value only. However heavier to me is possibly different to you if you get me...hope that helps, not trying to be an ass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah all good cap sorry I wasn't clear, I'm thinking more like tuning down to drop A#, I'll link this video for what I'm going for (I came from a solid pop punk background)

You can eBay some really nice laminated neck blanks, possibly build you own conversion neck if you are feeling adventurous?
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    You can eBay some really nice laminated neck blanks, possibly build you own conversion neck if you are feeling adventurous?
    Yeah took the words out of my mouth...I personally wouldn't use a Strat body. By all means have at it if it's your thing! Or if you are happy with it then find a decent cheapo Jackson/Epiphone/ESP or whatever and strip it down for the body and ditch the neck - pretty much exactly what I am doing for my Jackson Dinky. Only thing left is the body - and bolt on serial number plate of course!!

I may be off - and there would be dudes around here that definitely know more - but your scale might give you some real hassles. I assume by your lengths that you are going for 24 frets? Changing that from a Strat will throw the scale out and mean you have to change the bridge position; if indeed it can be done at all. Finding the absolute correct fingerboard for the Jackson took me ages and a couple of companies over east (I'm a Perth boy).

Just thoughts mate and if anything I'm saying is rubbish or not quite right then let me know!!
    Peace
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by captainbuff View Post
    your scale might give you some real hassles. I assume by your lengths that you are going for 24 frets? Changing that from a Strat will throw the scale out and mean you have to change the bridge position
    I wouldn't really build a neck myself, I'm not feeling THAT adventurous yet
    When it comes to the body, I like the weight of the body I'm using now and I like the nice red colour it has! For the scale length, I'm looking for a neck that can fit with the bridge position as it is, I know Warmoth do them but I'm seeing if theres anything within Aus first...

Pest I was lucky got DB to build my baritone neck. I'd have a look on ebay or check aliexpress.
    here's some pics of DB's magic neck !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160305_234950.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	543.3 KB 
ID:	17957   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160305_234809.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	630.3 KB 
ID:	17958  
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    Pest I was lucky got DB to build my baritone neck. I'd have a look on ebay or check aliexpress.
    Should've gone 7 string .

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    Man that is nice...beautiful work bro seconded with the info as well, FleaBay will be the safe bet. Goddam that bass is nice

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Should've gone 7 string .
    Also seconded throw some Meshuggah down hahaha
    Peace guys
    Josh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast