Views:	138 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	19405

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010 (4).JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	19406

It is still rougher than I would have liked but as this is only my first attempt and will be unseen inside the guitar it’s good enough for now.

Next job is to make sure that I have all the internal routing for the wiring figured out and the cut-away for the piezo control unit sorted. The piezo is for an acoustic guitar so it is a bit tricky to mount into the solid part of the body. Once the body is glued together it will be hard to work on, so I have to make sure I have not forgotten anything.

It doesn’t look like much but I have spent nearly 30 hours just on the body so far so now I am thinking of adding an “f” hole. I’m not going to spend that much time on it and have nobody notice that it’s hollow. Lol.

Now to think up a good original “f” hole design that suits the guitar.
    Last edited by robin; 17-05-2017 at 02:13 PM.

awesome work Westie07, think an F hole will be a nice touch
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    good stuff Westie07, you are the guru at innovating and creating new tools with what you have. That is pine you are routing ?
    Keep up the good work mate !
    You should patent the poor mans router plane haha
    Thanks Warren, can't take any credit for the idea, there are a lot of people smarter than me out there.

Yeah it's only pine. So I think I need to improve a lot before I start on some "real" wood.

Yeah but I would rather like to have something that looks a bit different than the traditional "f" hole. Scouring the internet as we speak lol.

Dayum Robin!!! I'm stealing your drill bit depth guide idea!!
    I may even get into the shed this weekend and do something about the neck pocket!
    Acoustics:
    1995 Maton EM725C - Solid 'A' Spruce Top, QLD Walnut B&S, AP5 Pickup
    2015 Ibanez AEL108MD-NT - Laminated Spruce top, Laminated Mahogany B&S, Fishman Sonicore Pickup

Electrics:
    Pitbull LP-1S - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5745
    Carsen Superstrat Rebuild - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6284

Builds in Progress:
    Silent Guitar Semi-Scratch Build - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6809

Thanks Zandy, I used a hand drill with a bit of tape wrapped around the bit to give me the depth guide. By the time I had drilled the last holes it had compressed the tape so some of the holes went a little bit deeper than I had planned. If I wasn't so stubborn and bought myself a drill press they would have been perfect. Ahh the joys of hand tools. I love it .lol.

6. Liked by: Zandit75

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Thanks Warren, can't take any credit for the idea, there are a lot of people smarter than me out there.

Yeah it's only pine. So I think I need to improve a lot before I start on some "real" wood.

Yeah but I would rather like to have something that looks a bit different than the traditional "f" hole. Scouring the internet as we speak lol.
    You could always go with a 'Z' a la Ziltoid, or echo the classic Dobro guitars and just have a mesh screened round hole.
    Or combine the two and do something really unique, would you consider an asymmetrical series of holes like the Ovations?
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Thanks for the ideas Frankie.

The "Z" doesn't do it for me unfortunately.

I will shelve the classic Dobro idea until I can make one. It's really weird, I am not into country music, but I love the sound of Dobros and Resonator guitars. One day I would like to have a crack at building one of those.

I really like the asymmetrical series of holes idea. But unfortunately not only used by Ovation but used to stunning effect by our very own D.B. I don't mind ripping off Ovation but never DB. lol.

Thanks for the ideas mate. They have given me something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Thanks for the ideas Frankie.

The "Z" doesn't do it for me unfortunately.

I will shelve the classic Dobro idea until I can make one. It's really weird, I am not into country music, but I love the sound of Dobros and Resonator guitars. One day I would like to have a crack at building one of those.

I really like the asymmetrical series of holes idea. But unfortunately not only used by Ovation but used to stunning effect by our very own D.B. I don't mind ripping off Ovation but never DB. lol.

Thanks for the ideas mate. They have given me something to think about.
    You're more than welcome, as far as giving people ideas goes, there's a Fishman unit sitting here in a box that is the first tangible piece of an idea I got from you. 😋😃

I too would love to build a Reso/Electric, I have a modern Dobro sitting here that gets hammered with some slide Blues occasionally. If PBG ever did that kit I'm definitely throwing money down.
    Last edited by FrankenWashie; 17-05-2017 at 08:08 PM.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    I too would love to build a Reso/Electric, I have a modern Dobro sitting here that gets hammered with some slide Blues occasionally. If PBG ever did that kit I'm definitely throwing money down.
    Count me in too, just love those things.

Awesome thread Robin. Some great stuff here from the home made tools to the actual guitar.
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast