Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: An EP with Pitbull guitar/bass

I don't think the vocals should be forward.
    I interpreted this music as moody-kinda-soundtrack-chill stuff and it sounded ok by me.

Sent from outta space using MartianTalk

Quote Originally Posted by OliSam View Post
    I don't think the vocals should be forward.
    I interpreted this music as moody-kinda-soundtrack-chill stuff and it sounded ok by me.
    Sent from outta space using MartianTalk
    You're the producer so who are we to argue

Edited to add. Once you have a track where you think it needs to be your ears will probably be tired, let it rest for a few days and go and record something new / go for a drive / dig the garden or whatever.

Then go back to it and put the one track on repeat and just listen, if nothing jumps out at you you're done but I can guarantee that if there is something minor in there you've missed before it will be sending you mental after half a dozen spins.

Do you A/B you recordings through your mixing rig with a commercial product that has the feel and production qualities you are looking for.

Make sure you mix at volumes where you could hold a normal conversation over the top of it, everything sounds better and fuller when played loud

Also make sure you play each version of the mix through a number of different systems, your mix speakers and headphones should be very flat.
    a. mix setup
    b. home stereo
    c. car stereo
    d. phone/iPad earbuds

Probably telling you nothing you haven't heard before but these are all pearls of wisdom I have received over time from recording professionals.

( quite possibly I don't listen this wisdom as closely as I should because I still get bruises when I get another set of ears to have a listen and critique )
    Last edited by dave.king1; 30-05-2017 at 03:23 PM.

G'day again Oli,

Have you had a look at Into The Night in a spectrum analyser, I use Voxengo SPAN which is free.

There's a lot or rumble right down at the bottom coming in with the kick, try a high pass on your EQ at 40Hz on each track but that one in particular.

In that track there's a lot of stuff happening down there and it's only inaudible mud which muddies the bass & kick and takes away headroom that could be used elsewhere.

Also have you mixed everything straight down the middle.

I'm liking this one a lot but the main voice seems crowded with too much in the same frequency range occupying the same sonic space.

ie. synth, lead vocal and harmony voices all down the middle.

Percussion and bass down the middle with the lead vocal and the guitars, synths & harmonies panned off to the sides to make a nest for the lead voice, then bring your lead instruments into the middle in the solo sections.

You could also try pulling the snare back a bit and add a bit of verb to it

JMTBW. feel free to ignore

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2