So after getting a bit of Christmas money, I thought I'd splash out on my second PBG kit - an EX-1, and it has a tough life ahead of it.

So here's how it looks:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EX-1-001.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	286.1 KB 
ID:	16452
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EX-1-002.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	353.1 KB 
ID:	16453

The fretboard has very pronounced striping in the grain. Looks pretty cool.

Everything is in pretty good order. There's a couple of small dings and glue spots, and some black smudges here and there, but it's all cosmetic. The neck fits very well, nice and snug - and the scale length seems right on the money. All of the other hardware should fit too, so I'll get cracking on the irrevocable changes.

First of all, I've never been a huge explorer fan, but picked one up randomly in a music store last year and found it ridiculous comfortable to play. So I'm going to do a bit of reshaping - I'm going to give the bottom horn more of an iceman shape, and then make a few other alterations to fit the theme. It won't be quite like the Destroyer/Iceman hybrid that bloke from Mr Big used to play, but it won't be too far removed either.

For the finish, I'm going with a custom vinyl decal - with a graphic black and white pattern, and I'll be making a purfling cutter to trim the decal back to about 6mm in from the edge to expose some red paint underneath to give it a border like a binding. I'll use a bit of leftover vinyl on the headstock, and do the neck in cheap nasty satin black from the green shed.

Oh, and I'm going to be gigging with it next weekend, so it's not really going to be properly finished. But it's sure going to have some character!

First stop, scroll saw!