Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: TL-1H.....Tele Deluxe

Without replacing the bridge (or at least the saddles), the only advice I can give on setting it up is to make sure that the top of each saddle is level and that both of each saddle's screws are touching the base plate. It only takes a small difference in saddle angle and screw height before one of those screws is up in the air and the saddle is only resting on one screw. If the other screw is only slightly above the bass plate, then it may well vibrate against it and buzz.

If you've got a lot of saddle screw poking up above the saddle, so that they dig into your hand, then you can either a) get a small hacksaw and cut a few mm of the bottom of the screws (I'd leave the hex hole end untouched), then use a file to smooth off the edges and add a bit of a point to them or b) look for shorter replacement screws from an eBay seller (though you'd have to guess at the screw size, though most Asian made saddles will have the same size and thread).

I tend to replace cheap alloy saddles on my (or friends) guitars with Graphtec ones as they do cut down on string friction a lot, and I find that their screws aren't overlong to begin with, so you don't get anything poking in your hand. The all-black ones are the cheapest, though you can get steel versions with just an insert of the slippery black material at twice the price. There are also good steel saddle replacements out there. But you need to measure the string spacing of the saddle to make sure you order the right size. Normally this will be the narrowest if two options are given, as most Asian and Mexican built guitars have a slightly narrower string spacing to US made guitars.

This is where getting a cheap digital vernier calliper pays dividends. I bought one for around A$20 from eBay and it is surprisingly accurate and I find myself using it a lot to check measurements.

True Simon. I use my digital calipers all the time now
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Cool. Thanks Simon. I see one by Craftright for A$19.98.
    It may be the go.
    Checking out saddles also.
    Still not ready for gotm as yet.
    My house is a construction zone and everything is covered in dust.
    I may be a while now

Sent from outta space using MartianTalk

Go into your local Total Tools store and pick up some vernier calipers. Less than​ $50- and probably 2-3 to choose from.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Without replacing the bridge (or at least the saddles), the only advice I can give on setting it up is to make sure that the top of each saddle is level and that both of each saddle's screws are touching the base plate. It only takes a small difference in saddle angle and screw height before one of those screws is up in the air and the saddle is only resting on one screw. If the other screw is only slightly above the bass plate, then it may well vibrate against it and buzz.

If you've got a lot of saddle screw poking up above the saddle, so that they dig into your hand, then you can either a) get a small hacksaw and cut a few mm of the bottom of the screws (I'd leave the hex hole end untouched), then use a file to smooth off the edges and add a bit of a point to them or b) look for shorter replacement screws from an eBay seller (though you'd have to guess at the screw size, though most Asian made saddles will have the same size and thread).

I tend to replace cheap alloy saddles on my (or friends) guitars with Graphtec ones as they do cut down on string friction a lot, and I find that their screws aren't overlong to begin with, so you don't get anything poking in your hand. The all-black ones are the cheapest, though you can get steel versions with just an insert of the slippery black material at twice the price. There are also good steel saddle replacements out there. But you need to measure the string spacing of the saddle to make sure you order the right size. Normally this will be the narrowest if two options are given, as most Asian and Mexican built guitars have a slightly narrower string spacing to US made guitars.

This is where getting a cheap digital vernier calliper pays dividends. I bought one for around A$20 from eBay and it is surprisingly accurate and I find myself using it a lot to check measurements.
    Hi Simon
    spent the weekend tweaking the setup.
    your right about the tops of saddles being absolutely level and screws touching. frustrating and fiddly but i got there as best as i could.
    I also found that having the saddles not touching eachother helped a bit.

I also loosened the truss a little and got some more bow in the neck which assisted in lowering the saddles a little more.
    There's a good action now (but it seems to show up my crappy job at levelling the frets )

when i get a chance i'll take some nice shots outside and post on gotm.

Hooray for great builds!

One month old and chipped already....... oh well. ☠️

Sent from outta space using MartianTalk

haha Oli don't worry everyone chips a guitar at some stage, you were a bit earlier than usual
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast