Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Noob inquiring about finishing a strat black

Noob inquiring about finishing a strat black

Hi everyone,
    I'm considering building a guitar for my son and he would like a black strat.

Before I jump into the project, I'd like to find out whether this is something I can achieve as I haven't got a spray gun/compressor, breathing apparatus, etc. Also I understand that rattle can paints are not very good as enamels could affect the sound of the guitar and also it's quite tricky to get good result.

From what I've been reading, I could use wipe-on-poly for a clear top coat with reasonably good results, the question is what can use for a black colour coat before the clear coat?
    Also what would be the process? Something like:
    - Sanding (400 grit?)
    - etc.

Thanks in advance
    Christian

Hi Christian, welcome to the forum, Would your son prefer a black stain or a solid black colour ?
    I've got pretty good results from rattle cans if you spend a bit more and get better quality paints.
    Have a look on the Guitar Australia website there are some good aerosol nitro spray cans and the Behlen Nitro clear coats are good quality. Link below
    https://www.guitaraust.com.au/
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

The Belen Nitro sprays are great, but you must wear good breathing protection - very important.
    A strat is a fairly straight forward guitar, and plenty have been done here, so go easy and you'll be fine.
    Sand the body to about 400 grit like you say. If you use paint, you should prime. If you use stain you won't.
    Make sure your clears and colours are compatible - where possible use the same brands, or at least the same type of product.
    Excellent results can be obtained from spray cans - you need a good day - not too hot or cold, and not too humid. Put your cans in warm water prior to use - it aids paint flow and give a smoother spray. Several light coats are always better that a few heavy ones.
    Lots of help here - good luck and enjoy

Thanks for the prompt advice.
    I watched a couple of Behlen videos and the process seems a lot more involved than using something like Black Stump Dingotone. Also the price difference would be substantial by the time you add up all the needed components + a good respirator. I know one would give me a solid black and the other more of a stain black but he doesn't seem too fussed as long as it's a black strat.
    His birthday is in July, so I still have a bit of time to think which way I'll go. I might do a bit more research on solid colour finishes too and maybe it won't seem as daunting.
    Thanks again
    Christian

I know some will frown on it but automotive acrylic works well, I used it on my STA-1 kit and am very happy with it

Hi. When you say your son wants a 'Black Strat', does he want it to look like a specific guitar e.g Clapton's 'Blackie' or Dave Gilmour's black Strat, or is he happy for any Strat style so long as it's black? If the former, then he's not really going to want a stained finish. If the latter, then all the options are open to you.

Vapour masks aren't that expensive, and really should be used for any sort of spraying. You don't need a complete head mask with motorised air supply etc. unless you are doing an awful lot of spraying (where you'd also have access to a pro spray booth).

Something like this would be more than adequate for the occasional spray - https://www.bunnings.com.au/scott-sa...75anz_p5820640. This has replaceable filters, though you can get cheaper disposable masks. But make sure it's a vapour mask - dust masks are no good. They need to be tight-fitting and you shouldn't be able to smell any solvent if they are fitted and working well. If after a few hours in total of spraying you start to smell solvent - then it's time to stop and replace the filters (or get a new disposable mask). The use of thin rubber gloves and eye protection are also advised.

But whatever finish you decide to use, note that the stain or black spray coat is not the end of the process and it's the clear coating, then sanding and polishing afterwards, that gives the shine.

Thanks guys.
    I found this chart which is a good summary of the process with nitrocellulose. I wonder if there's a similar thing somewhere for acrylics.
    Cheers
    Christian

Here's my Strat finished in SCA acrylic auto paint.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strat_Finished_zpshxrrnwpc.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	327.6 KB 
ID:	15956

The pups have been replaced now with Seymour Duncan stacked HBs that I have yet to source black covers for

That looks beautiful. Do you mind giving me a rundown of your process and what products you used?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Chrisp250; 27-12-2016 at 01:26 PM.

Pretty straight forward really.
    Feast Watson maple stain on the back of the neck and headstock
    Sanding sealer on the body but no grain filling which with hindsight I should have done
    3 coats of acrylic undercoat - light sand
    5 coats of acrylic colour - light sand
    5 coats of acrylic clear - light sand and buff with Maguires
    Citrus oil on the fretboard

All of this followed a lot of sanding before the rattle cans came out, all of the paint coats were very thin.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast