Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 106

Thread: Non-PBG RBX Style Bass Guitar Kit RBX-20 from DIY Guitars

  1. #1

    Non-PBG RBX Style Bass Guitar Kit RBX-20 from DIY Guitars

    Hi everyone,

    I've had this kit for awhile and I'm going to build this for my brother.

    One coat of timbermate has been applied a couple of months ago but not sanded off. I'm about to do that after a mock build.

    Again another bolt on kit missing holes in the neck heel. Their site says it's a 34" scale length with 24 frets.

    Do I use the same intonation guide here on this forum or is it completely different?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	618.5 KB 
ID:	15532

    Cheers,

    Alkay.

  2. #2
    GAStronomist Simon Barden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    8,205
    Same guide. A 34" scale length is a 34" scale length. Though I do have a Peavey bass that says it's 35" scale length but it measures as a standard 34" to me. So if you want to be 100% sure, measure it, and if the distance from the fretboard side of the nut to the crown of the 12th fret is 17"/432mm, then it's definitely a 34" neck.

    I'd almost prefer bolt-on necks to come without the screw holes in the neck. Drilling your own guarantees that they will be in the right place and that you can add any necessary angle to the neck (neck pocket width withstanding) at the time you drill your holes.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Same guide. A 34" scale length is a 34" scale length. Though I do have a Peavey bass that says it's 35" scale length but it measures as a standard 34" to me. So if you want to be 100% sure, measure it, and if the distance from the fretboard side of the nut to the crown of the 12th fret is 17"/432mm, then it's definitely a 34" neck.

    I'd almost prefer bolt-on necks to come without the screw holes in the neck. Drilling your own guarantees that they will be in the right place and that you can add any necessary angle to the neck (neck pocket width withstanding) at the time you drill your holes.
    Thanks Simon. I guess drilling your own gives you a bit more play incase its not spot on.

    I just measured the distance from the fretboard side of the nut to the crown of the 12th fret and it's 431.5mm.

    That should be fine because I can adjust bridge saddle slightly when doing the intonation?

    First bass I'm building but by the sounds it should be fairly similar.

    Cheers,

    Alkay.

  4. #4
    GAStronomist wazkelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Caloundra West, Sunshine Coast Qld
    Posts
    6,609
    Hi Alkay, good axe to start with both as a kit and also if you are new to playing Bass.

    I have done 3 bolt-ons and they are less scary than set necks, even if you have to drill the bolt holes. You will find this kit a breeze after the LP's.
    # 1 - EX-5 https://goo.gl/fQJMqh
    # 2 - EX-1 https://goo.gl/KSY9W9
    # 3 - Non PBG Tele https://goo.gl/W14G5g
    # 4 - Non PBG J Bass https://goo.gl/FbBaFy
    # 5 - TL-1AR GOTM Aug 2017 https://goo.gl/sUh14s
    # 6 - MMB-4 Runner-up GOTM Oct 2018https://goo.gl/gvrPkp
    # 7 - ES-1 Runner-up GOTM Aug 2018https://goo.gl/T9BEY8

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by wazkelly View Post
    Hi Alkay, good axe to start with both as a kit and also if you are new to playing Bass.

    I have done 3 bolt-ons and they are less scary than set necks, even if you have to drill the bolt holes. You will find this kit a breeze after the LP's.
    Thanks waz thats good to know. I might tackle a set neck when I'm better but for the moment I feel more comfortable with bolt ons.

    This ones for my brother but I'll have a go on it. I'm very very average on bass.

    Hopefully this build won't take up too many pages on the forum hahaha.

    Cheers,

    Alkay.

  6. #6
    GAStronomist wazkelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Caloundra West, Sunshine Coast Qld
    Posts
    6,609
    Need to see lots of pictures.....don't go soft and deprive any of us from seeing what you have been getting up to.
    # 1 - EX-5 https://goo.gl/fQJMqh
    # 2 - EX-1 https://goo.gl/KSY9W9
    # 3 - Non PBG Tele https://goo.gl/W14G5g
    # 4 - Non PBG J Bass https://goo.gl/FbBaFy
    # 5 - TL-1AR GOTM Aug 2017 https://goo.gl/sUh14s
    # 6 - MMB-4 Runner-up GOTM Oct 2018https://goo.gl/gvrPkp
    # 7 - ES-1 Runner-up GOTM Aug 2018https://goo.gl/T9BEY8

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by wazkelly View Post
    Need to see lots of pictures.....don't go soft and deprive any of us from seeing what you have been getting up to.
    Yes I'll keep doing more pictures. I also need to put together a video too for the other LP build. I have been testing stains and clear coats recently.

    Here is a test run I did with poly clear coat. Not a guitar but it was a test so it's related hahaha.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	481.5 KB 
ID:	15556

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	709.0 KB 
ID:	15557

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	743.6 KB 
ID:	15558

  8. #8
    GAStronomist wazkelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Caloundra West, Sunshine Coast Qld
    Posts
    6,609
    Sort of related as it is timber and turned out to be a great test bed.

    That looks great and can't wait to see how you transfer this new skill on to your guitar builds.

    Do you want to come around and do my knife block too please?
    # 1 - EX-5 https://goo.gl/fQJMqh
    # 2 - EX-1 https://goo.gl/KSY9W9
    # 3 - Non PBG Tele https://goo.gl/W14G5g
    # 4 - Non PBG J Bass https://goo.gl/FbBaFy
    # 5 - TL-1AR GOTM Aug 2017 https://goo.gl/sUh14s
    # 6 - MMB-4 Runner-up GOTM Oct 2018https://goo.gl/gvrPkp
    # 7 - ES-1 Runner-up GOTM Aug 2018https://goo.gl/T9BEY8

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by wazkelly View Post
    Sort of related as it is timber and turned out to be a great test bed.

    That looks great and can't wait to see how you transfer this new skill on to your guitar builds.

    Do you want to come around and do my knife block too please?
    Thanks it was a good test run.

    Hahaha sure sounds good if the cold beers are flowing

  10. #10
    Hi everyone,

    Two problems pictured below.

    You can see I have filled the crack with timbermate but it still stands out. I was thinking of scraping the surface inside the gouge slightly so I can add a saw dust and superglue slurry?

    Also, the bridge drill holes are missing on this body. Is there are thread on here that shows how to accurately align the bridge on the body? The plate may even cover up the above timbermate fill depending on where it is placed.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	314.3 KB 
ID:	15654

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •