Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2017 GOTM!

Very nice, looks very classy
    Cheers
    CubCall

Can I enter it in the feb comp?

Hi SJDavis, you made the cutoff for January GOTM so all good !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

SJDavis - as Wokka has said - you're in the Jan comp - but you're able to enter as many comps as you want - only deal is only one guitar/bass per month.

Quote Originally Posted by FredA View Post
    And finally photos of the headstock:
    Attachment 16041 Attachment 16042

Unfortunately it is not a nice sunny day here (though very hot), so the pics are not very nice... but I had to take them today to make the cut for this month! :-)

Thanks!
    Fred, Your build is just awesome. if I was the new owner of it, I'd be happy as well.

Love it.
    Build 1 - Refurbished Ibanez RG550.
    Build 2 - Refurbished ESP LTD F10
    Build 3 - DEC 2016 GOTM - PB LPA1 JP Wiring and FCH Bridge - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6342
    Build 4 - Surprise JB-4 - Build Diary coming soon

So to the comments - in submission order:
    Stan’s LP
    A stunning build Stan, love the colour and hardware chosen, you have a lucky sister. It was worth the wait to see the finished axe.
    Classy, elegant and beautiful. Great colour choice, hardware and finish. I love the little things - the treble / rhythm switchplate, truss rod cover, all those things that come together beautifully.
    Stan has shown that patience truly is a virtue. Stunning colour, high end upgrades, flawless fit and finish. Setting the benchmark for this year’s competition very early.
    This ticks all the boxes. A bold choice of colour that really works! The black hardware, headstock artwork and upgrades perfectly accentuate the stunning, glossy finish. Prince would have picked this one up in a store.
    Everything about this build screams quality from the upgraded hardware to the finish itself. Well done.

Andy’s RCA-4
    A stylish, understated build with some nice mods. I can’t fault the build, but I’m just not convinced the black hardware works with this finish. I would like to see it with gold or even chrome hardware, it needs more contrast.
    You would never know that this was almost a failed project. Love the custom pickup and control panel surrounds. The natural wood and black hardware work really well.
    Sleek and stylish. The simplified controls, custom pickguard and truss cover together with the black hardware make this bass very appealing to me. Glad to see it fished out of the bin.
    A classy Ricky build Andy, your choice of colour and hardware have worked really well. Hope it sounds as good as it looks.
    Simple and understated. Love the classic colours and finish.

Chuck’s JB-4M
    A faultless build and finish, with another bold colour choice. The modded body shape really works, I love it!
    Super cool mods and an excellent choice of colour. Great work.
    Chuck you continue to wow the judges with your finish, colour choice and cool mods, this bass must have many different sounds. Top work
    Another Chuck mash up. Love your taste in colour and style – excellent job with the shaping too.
    Love how this has been modded to make it original. Three pickup bass is a nice choice and the wiring is a great solution.

Dan’s SG-1F
    Top work Dan this is a stylish SG and well executed. I like the green and black combo for this shape.
    Love the colour, well put together, extra points for the coolest decals out. That’s one funky gibbon!
    Another understated “workhorse” type build that you gotta be happy with. Fantastic use of the flame maple veneer on this model. The black border really works.
    Nice to see a green guitar in this month’s line up. The hard black edge was done very well.
    Great outcome - love the logo and the colour choice. Satin finish is nice and looks sleek.

FredA’s ST-1JR
    Spot on to the theme. What’s not to love here, Star Wars and guitars. Perfect.
    Classic tribute build. Love all of the custom bits and the attention to detail with the old universe aging.
    What a great build, I loved watching this one come together. The final result is truly inspiring.
    Heaps of character here! Love the theme and the colour choice matches well. The overall outcome is impressive and creative. Great job guys!
    Love the theme Fred you have nailed what you have set out to do. Must be popular among the Star Wars fans! The burn/relic marks make it look used!

SJDavis75’s MB-1
    Yep! This one works! Reminds me of Gav Turner’s MB-1 for Eben. You’ve really brought the very best out of what is essentially a very basic, no-frills kit. Classic shape and a winning build.
    This looks like it'd fit in perfectly with glam rock 80's style and has been nicely finished.
    An extremely eye catching finish that has been done well. I’m sure you’ll stand out on stage with this axe.
    Very cool flames paint theme you have done a great job getting the MB look. Next time try to get some clearer daylight pics.
    More purple, with sparkles! Nice looking guitar, airbrushing is a great personal touch.

7. Liked by: SJDavis75

And to the runner up....

I feel this needs an epic movie theme in the background, but it's FredA's ST-1JR

This Star Wars R2D2 inspired build is inspirational in its ambition and delivery Fred - you've done a great job! Congratulations.

And now the winner (have a guess - it's purple)!

Its a dead heat - 5 independent judges and scores for all guitars and these have come out with the same outcome!
    Congratulations to Stan and Chuck for their purple axes!

Stan, overall the finish and level of detail was amazing. The judges were thrilled by the outcome. Well done!
    Chuck, we were all impressed by the customisation of the JB - adding another pickup, changing the body shape and funky wiring - all winners and a great outcome. Congratulations!
    Last edited by Brendan; 03-02-2017 at 08:34 PM.

And here is Stan's guitar:

Well done everyone, and an even bigger well done to Fred, Stan and Chuck. A very good month for submissions and a tough one for the judges..

11. Liked by: aschmalbach, stan

Well done Stan and Chuck. I couldn't split the scores all submissions were top quality great job all entrants.
    As Simon says please include a pic on Stans LP Bman
    Last edited by wokkaboy; 06-01-2017 at 10:16 PM.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast