Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: FrankenWashie's Third, The Cliche Black LP

I know it's going to be a pain to sand it back and start over, but there probably aren't many more LP kits like this out there, and this guitar has too much potential not to give it another go

Once you've got it sanded back you could always stain it black instead of painting it; that way you wouldn't have to worry about swelling. I did the back and sides of my LP with stain and it's none more black

I really like your headstock shape and hardware choices. I know you'll get this sorted out and I'm excited to see what you do with it!
    Build #1 Spalted Maple 'Halcyon' LP-1SS GOTM May 2018

If the front is ok, don't bother sanding back the whole axe.

That's just making more work for yourself and is only your frustration talking.

Is it just around the switch and control cavities or are there problems with the rest of the back?

What about spot sanding, sealing (with a non-Timbermate sanding sealer), undercoat, rub back and re-paint (or something like that)?

Or routing the edges and putting in an inlay?

Any other suggestions, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by trv View Post
    I know it's going to be a pain to sand it back and start over, but there probably aren't many more LP kits like this out there, and this guitar has too much potential not to give it another go

Once you've got it sanded back you could always stain it black instead of painting it; that way you wouldn't have to worry about swelling. I did the back and sides of my LP with stain and it's none more black

I really like your headstock shape and hardware choices. I know you'll get this sorted out and I'm excited to see what you do with it!

Thanks for that, I need to get it pulled out and re-assess. I was happy with all of the shaping but the whole finish needs to be reviewed.

Quote Originally Posted by ILRGuitars View Post
    If the front is ok, don't bother sanding back the whole axe.

That's just making more work for yourself and is only your frustration talking.

Is it just around the switch and control cavities or are there problems with the rest of the back?

What about spot sanding, sealing (with a non-Timbermate sanding sealer), undercoat, rub back and re-paint (or something like that)?

Or routing the edges and putting in an inlay?

Any other suggestions, anyone?
    This was the first effort with spraypainting, I remain convinced that, veneer issues aside, my prep work on this is the root of the finish issues, so i need to back track to the start and try again I feel.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

I have had that heartache on my LP kit. I attacked it with a rotary sander and got it off in no time. The rustoleum goes on well usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyxlh View Post
    I have had that heartache on my LP kit. I attacked it with a rotary sander and got it off in no time. The rustoleum goes on well usually.
    I had fewer issues on the PE SV, but because that was 3 colours I had to take more time and care in prep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FrankenLab

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    I reckon you just powersand the back veneer right off. If you've had a few coats of rustoleum on it for a while they will be really nice and hard, it would be a shame to lose all that curing time. Then you can just re-do the back and blend it. Being a solid colour, so long as you use the same products you will never notice a patch job.

I'm also starting to think priming is a bit of a waste of time on these. My SG build is just acrylic clear over the wood. I did build up a heap of coats to block back and polish. It still looks great and the finish doesn't feel fragile or anything, nor does it look like flaking off anytime soon - which is a real problem painting metal. I think the grain gives you enough bite, you just need to soak the paint in, and sand it back a couple of times.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

The Cursed build rises....

One more crack at finishing this BeeArch. The Black Winter set is coming out of the Ibanez, the rest of the blacker than black hardware has been dragged out. Success. Or firewood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    FrankenLab

Got any blacker?

Wow! I like a good Zombie Thread!
    Pass the popcorn...

I'm guess Rustoleum is not part of the current plan?
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Wow! I like a good Zombie Thread!
    Pass the popcorn...

I'm guess Rustoleum is not part of the current plan?
    The Black Base on this is Rustoleum McC, so rather than strip back, I shall attempt to persist. I still have 2 cans of the black left over from the last attempt plus Rustoleum satin clear. It may yet prove my undoing, but I managed to get it to work on the PE SV-1 so I shall push on with it.
    FrankenLab

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast