Well, my EX-1 has arrived.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ex-1 arrival small.jpg 
Views:	476 
Size:	675.7 KB 
ID:	15244

The neck fits very well into the body cavity. It's tight enough for it to have stayed there when laid horizontally, as in the picture, for over 15 minutes (and counting) without moving. I've checked the neck angles and it seems square and with just the right amount of tilt to fit a tune-o-matic bridge in without it sitting too high. Routing is all nice and clean; looks like it should be a good one.

I'm not going to rush this build as it's too cold over here to work outside on it (and will be for a few months now), plus I need to buy the hardware and I'm trying not to spend too much at the moment with Christmas coming up. I also need to decide whether I'm going to rout it out and fit a pickguard to have the pickup selector switch in the traditional Explorer location, and fit three control knobs, or stick with it as it is. It will probably depend on the finish.

I know it's going to be a white body, but I want to paint a large graphic on it as well. Something that's noticeable from a distance, and fairly simply to spray-on using templates; so mainly black, light and dark grey with a few splashes of colour. Still not decided what it's going to be. I'm not really into skulls or other traditional heavy metal style images on guitars. Maybe a Star Wars image or something similar. I still have plenty of time to think about it.