Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: EX-7 - 7 String Explorer

  1. #1
    Member Slayer666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Tapping, Perth, WA
    Posts
    73

    EX-7 - 7 String Explorer

    Hey folks,

    Thought I would post my thoughts on the EX-7 - 7 String Explorer (transparent honey) I purchased recently.

    Overall I am happy with the quality of this axe, the finish is excellent and is well constructed.

    It came pretty well set-up - I did need to change the strings to a heavier gauge as the stock strings were far to lose for a 7 string especially if you like to down tune. It plays well and stays in tune which is awesome.

    For $300, it's an awesome looking guitar and given I am new to 7 strings this was a great purchase. I will look at upgrading at least the bridge pickup at some stage.

    Cheers Adam!

  2. #2
    GAStronomist wokkaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    13,555
    good one Slayer glad you are happy with the EX-7. You should have a crack at building a kit next !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

    Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

  3. #3
    Member Raz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    25
    Thanks for posting this. I actually just ordered an EX-7 (satin black). Should be mailed out today.
    Are there any mods you think you're going to do to it?
    Any more detailed info for a review? Weight, how solid it feels, things it's definitely going to need over than the bridge pup (i.e, tuners, bone nut, etc). Overall sound?
    Also: What pickups are you looking at putting in?

    I'll be monitoring this thread closely and making one of my own *hopefully* soon. haha.

  4. #4
    Member Slayer666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Tapping, Perth, WA
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    good one Slayer glad you are happy with the EX-7. You should have a crack at building a kit next !
    Hey wokka, I have a PRS kit waiting for me to pull my finger out, I actually bought it months ago before the 7 String... need some dedicated time. Can't wait to start.

  5. #5
    GAStronomist wokkaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    13,555
    sounds good Slayer, I think you will really enjoy building a kit and be warned it is 'slightly' addictive hahah
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

    Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

  6. #6
    Member Slayer666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Tapping, Perth, WA
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I actually just ordered an EX-7 (satin black). Should be mailed out today.
    Are there any mods you think you're going to do to it?
    Any more detailed info for a review? Weight, how solid it feels, things it's definitely going to need over than the bridge pup (i.e, tuners, bone nut, etc). Overall sound?
    Also: What pickups are you looking at putting in?

    I'll be monitoring this thread closely and making one of my own *hopefully* soon. haha.
    Hey Raz,

    For the price I think it's awesome. I had never really played a 7 string before so didn't know really what to expect. The body is solid and well put together as I stated - I have no issues with that. Having played an Explorer style before, it's as comfortable to play as my ESP model 6 string (I play sitting down). The stock sound is good enough for an entry level 7 string, especially with the heavier gauge strings on it. I used Ernie Ball 10-62's.

    I would upgrade the tuners, nut, PuP's (either EMG 707's or something from Seymour Duncan) if I had the spare cash and really got into 7 strings. For me though, the pickups would be the first thing to pimp up just to get a fuller/nicer tone.

    I hope this helps!

  7. #7
    Member Raz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayer666 View Post
    Hey Raz,

    For the price I think it's awesome. I had never really played a 7 string before so didn't know really what to expect. The body is solid and well put together as I stated - I have no issues with that. Having played an Explorer style before, it's as comfortable to play as my ESP model 6 string (I play sitting down). The stock sound is good enough for an entry level 7 string, especially with the heavier gauge strings on it. I used Ernie Ball 10-62's.

    I would upgrade the tuners, nut, PuP's (either EMG 707's or something from Seymour Duncan) if I had the spare cash and really got into 7 strings. For me though, the pickups would be the first thing to pimp up just to get a fuller/nicer tone.

    I hope this helps!
    It completely helps.
    I've only owned one 7 string before and it was a shoddy mess (haven't owned a Jackson since). I'm in the same category in basically all of what you are. I always gravitate towards Explorer styled, my other guitar is a 6 string Dean Z; and yeah with these styles and especially the weight that comes on some of them, much easier to play sitting down. I signed up for Wired Guitarist's "StringDrop" string subscription so I'll be reporting on that when I can.

    Only difficult part on upgrading the pups is the price. a SD Nazgul/Sentient combo is expensive (to me at least). Really for me what gets upgraded depends on finances at the time of upgrading, and overall individual need. Want new pickups and can afford? that happens first. Able to get new tuners and feel they're needed but can't spend the ~200 on the pups? then I'll go with some new Grovers, Sperzels, etc.

    I'm also working on some sketches of custom pickguards, and once I've made about 5 or 6 total designs I might put them on here and take votes; or give ideas to others that have the same guitar. Or, even give a full template of the set (once I make them that detailed, that is).

  8. #8
    Member Slayer666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Tapping, Perth, WA
    Posts
    73
    Sounds good mate. See how happy you are with the stock guitar, you might be surprised. Pit bull sell some reasonably priced pickup upgrade options too (I have never heard them though). And yeah, post some pics!

    Happy shredding \m/

  9. #9
    Member Raz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    25
    I've seen the pickups with the pentagram on them before. Never heard what they sound like though. One thing I'm thinking of changing when it arrives is the nut. Probably one of the cheapest changes I can do. Would a 7 string Bone (if possible to find) or a Tusq Graph Tech nut be the preferable?

    Oh and good news: According to USPS Tracking: the guitar cleared the US Customs and should arrive tomorrow! The 3ish mile (aka 5ish km) walk home from campus will be done in record time.

  10. #10
    GAStronomist Simon Barden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    6,226
    Both would be good replacements. If you were playing fairly cleanly and playing lots of open chords, then a bone nut would probably be the better choice for tone, but if you are mainly chugging or shredding away on distorted amps, then the Tusq nut would be preferable with regards to tuning stability, (not that both types can't provide stable tuning, but the graphite in the Tusq nut does help a bit).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •